Wrangler JK problems, Need info from other JKs with same issues...

blokenshed JK

In august 2010 I privately purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, this Vehicle had only travelled some 35,000 km, it was about 1 year old and was in immaculate condition with numerous accessories fitted. This vehicle had from new a manufactures 3 year transferable warranty (Fully transferable from owner to owner up to 3 years)
The vehicle soon developed mechanical, electrical and internal fittings faults that progressed to a serious degree over the following 24 months.
To date experiencing some 25+ repairs needed and over 30 attempts to fix at the local service provider, this totalling in the vicinity of $30,000 in repair costs under warranty.
That’s around $400 in repairs and servicing for every 70 litre tank of gas or 300kms.
The warranty provider along with the local service provider has to date been unable to rectify most of the repetitive ongoing serious faults over this time with up to 15 attempts to repair a mechanical sway bar fault and multiple warning lights.
Repair attempts and workmanship has been extremely shoddy and has consisted of mainly guesswork that has clearly corrupted the vehicles reliability and usage along endangered safety of the vehicle occupants when the front crossbar / draglink bar was not bolted up after a diff housing replacement.
Due to the above issues I made multiple attempts over several months via phone calls, emails and visits to the local agents in Dunedin to try to rectify the situation. After no satisfaction I decided I needed out of ownership of this vehicle and could not morally sell this problem and needed the warranty provider to take responsibility.
The more noise I made the faster the agents and Jeep ran and hid.
I am taking Legal action against jeep here in NZ for several aspects towards cost and compensation.
I am told by Jeep that other jeeps don’t have these issues and believe that their defence is going to be to state my issues are because I abuse my vehicle, my Wrangler is around 97% tarmac 3% light/moderate off road use and is in no way thrashed or abused.
It only takes a Google search to see that I'm not alone but need responces to this post to show these faults are wide spread with other owners.

Provided here is a brief shortlist of faults experienced...as below.
Please comment if you have had any issues related to my issue list below as to show its not just mine....

3X axel U joint breakages or failures,
Diff locker issues,
Track bar / Crossbar / panhard bolts,
15+ sway bar warning light accuracies,
1X complete sway bar with motor replacement,
1x swaybar motor replacement.
1x swaybar wiring loom replacement.
Rear axle replaced.
Engine HT leads, Took 9 weeks to get, lol.
Auto Transmission Hot Oil Warning light.
Auto Transmission delay to drive,
Auto Transmission odd gear changing and revs.
Multiple warning light issues. Bas/esp,
Multiple warning light issues. Airbag.
Multiple warning light issues. ABS.
Multiple warning light issues. Break warning.
Multiple warning light issues. Battery light.
Multiple warning light issues Electrical (Z) light
Or all warnings going mad with tachometer bouncing with audible chiming.
Power steering broke main pump shaft.
Radiator electric cooling fan replaced.
Head rest auto fold system repaired 4X.
Shift leaver coming apart.
Clunk in hood lining.
Main axel housing replaced.
Belt idler and tensioner replaced.
Rear door hinges replacer..
Front Axel seals leaking
Replace clockspring ? $744 worth (jeep recall)
Break hose replaced.
Steering damper replaced
Transmission hose kit replaced
Axel locker sensor replaced.
Vehicle K13 recall???
Wiring broke at Alternator plug,
Vehicle Starts but won’t rev over 1500 rpm.
Fuel spits back from tank when filling.
This list is the last 2 years of my Wranglers life. $30,000 worth, that’s ½ of its new cost here in NZ.
Please comment if any of the above sounds like your Wrangler, feel free to add extra problems experienced.

If it’s not related to my issues pleases Direct Email to me at jeepwrangler@consultant.com otherwise please respond via this post with any issues listed above you also have experianced.
The idea is to show other Wranglers have the same issues and it’s not related to vehicle abuse. These vehicles are promoted as "the Toughest 4X4 ever"

As long as it’s a 2005-2012 Wrangler with any of the same issues, it doesn’t matter where in the world you are please respond.
Will let you all know my outcome with Jeep and the my case.
Thanks Craig in NZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow that really sucks. I love my jeep even if I have gone through two transmissions since I got it. Mostly road and I do trail alot but it's not abused in either way but it eats transmissions. I'm sure a sye would fix all that on account of mine being lifted.

Back