Shop

RescueGreenXJ

Hello VA Jeepers! I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent mechanic in the Alexandria-Arlington-DC area, I could take my new 99 XJ to, to find the culprit of a "chirp" and a "squeak" coming from up front and below......
Be safe!

Hello VA Jeepers! I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent mechanic in the Alexandria-Arlington-DC area, I could take my new 99 XJ to, to find the culprit of a "chirp" and a "squeak" coming from up front and below......
Be safe!
No I dont, I'm in Harrisonburg va, But maybe I can help ya out with a little advice before ya take it to a garage and spend a bunch of money on it. Does it do it sitting at park with the engine running,or does it do it when the jeep is in motion?

I'm not exactly sure of a good shop in your area (i'm in va beach), but I know that the firestone in mechanics vill is great. They were the only place open later than 12 on a Sunday when our suburban broke down. The guys in the shop were friendly and quick. Like gennybro said, tell us what's goin on with it. We might be able to help you out instead of taking it to a shop. Where exactly are the sounds comming from, when do they happen, and what does it sound like?

gennybro said:
No I dont, I'm in Harrisonburg va, But maybe I can help ya out with a little advice before ya take it to a garage and spend a bunch of money on it. Does it do it sitting at park with the engine running,or does it do it when the jeep is in motion?

Only in motion. I think it is the rear u-joint of the front drive shaft. There is definitely play in it. And it clunks or flanks when I push it up-down...the driveshaft that is..

Only in motion. I think it is the rear u-joint of the front drive shaft. There is definitely play in it. And it clunks or flanks when I push it up-down...the driveshaft that is..
Thats not really to difficult of a fix for you to do it yourself. I would suggest that ya invest the money in a chiltons repair manuel for your jeep and do it yourself,instead of going to a garage. Remember Chiltons manuel,not Haynes.

Back