Drag Link Adjustment?

GreenReaper93

Hey everyone! I was wondering how hard it is to adjust the drag link? My steering wheel is crooked and it's driving me nuts. Thanks!

Its not hard at all. Take it off and adjust each side in or out as evenly as possible. It will not mess up your alignment either.

If yours comes loose consider yourself lucky... mine was frozen tight! I went a bought a new drag link and tie rod ends. A pipe wrench may come in handy...

I used a vice on my bench and mojo adjustable wrench. They where tight as hell. You may want to soke the threads with some PB Blaster or some thing like it.

If it's frozen, use a little heat on it like a propane torch. That will usually free it up.
I know someone is going to chime in about weakening the metal, but don't worry, it's not hardened and a propane torch won't get it hot enough to weaken it.

Most alignment shops will heat the hell out of them, then paint them and never tell you. Don't worry about heating it. Use a pipe wrench and a bar that will slide over the end of it to give you some leverage. Don't take it out of the Jeep, the adjustment sleeve will spin on both sides so it will move it equally. It should not be that bad....

Ya, don't bother removing it from the jeep. Just loosen the tierod on each end and turn the center section with a pipe wrench. Make sure the steering wheel is unlocked ;)

If you dont remove it from the jeep how are you going to adjust it? You at least have to undo one of the tie rod ends. Other wise you will just be moving the bar back and forth on the tie rod ends but making no adjustments to the steering wheel.

I unlocked my wheel and seperated the bar. Then I set the swheel where i wanted it to be. Next i lined up my drag link and measured to see how many turns i needed on the tie rod ends to make it work. Made the adjustmenst and put it on to test it out.

make sure to buy or rent a tie rod seperator. You will need it and a hammer along with your mojo wrench and vice if you have one.

The ends are threaded the oposite way of each other so that when you trun it one way it draws it in equally and when turned the other way it pushes it out equally. This is why the adjustment sleeve is there. you don't wan to take it apart and put it back together. You would be increasing your chances of messing the tierod up. Most alignment shops even use a pipe wrench to make these adjustments. The tie rod seperatr is not needed because the tierod is not being removed.

1.Losen adjuster sleeve clamps
2.attach pipe wrench to adjuster sleeve
3.turn, make sure steering wheel is unlocked.
4.If wheel starts to turn the wrong way turn wrench over and go the other way.
5.If adjustment sleeve does not want to budge - Add heat
6. When steering wheel is in right position Tighten down adjuster clamps.

It's that easy, Alignment shops do not remove the drag link from your truck to straighten the wheel, why should you.

It's very easy, and as ecor stated, the tierod ends are threaded a different direction from one another. Spinning the center-section of the draglink one way lengthens it, spinning the other way shortens it. Busting a tierod loose is not needed, more work than necessary.

Mine is only off 1/4 turn after the lift, I really need to get down there and adjust it. I'll need to put on my spare steering while I'm down there, haven't replaced it since I straightened it back out with my winch after smashing it in the rocks. Save the bent linkage for one of my spare sets.

Man, that does sound easy... I never tried to use heat to adjust mine... I think I will give it a try, if it works, I got a drag link and tie rod ends for sale! any takers?

Back