New Shackle stability

Renegade79

How much stability am i really going to loose if i replace oem o my 79CJ5 with slightly larger shackles (About 1") just to get a moderate lift. I have also heard that changing the shackles is a job that looks easy but really turns into a pain, so what is the easiest way to do it.[addsig]

Changing shackles on a newer jeep is pretty easy, but more than likely the bolt will be frozen. The way they work is there's a rubber/polly bushing inside of the spring, and inside that rubber bushing is a metal sleave through which the bolt goes. What happens is that the metal bolt and the sleave that it sits in get rusted/fused together, and you can't simply "push the bolt out". You'd do good to coat everything with penetrating oil for a couple of days beforehand, then when you replace them, use something like daystar greasable shackles from <insert jeepz.com advertisement here> Quadratec.

Overall you probably won't lose any stability as long and you don't lift it too much, and use quality shackles

Terry[addsig]

about an inch will not harm you and like Terry said they will be frozen with rust
image-missing.png

you may get lucky,my fronts were easy to remove,the rears required the good old torch
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back