What year of TJ should I buy?

moparfreak77

Todays pics...

Hey guys...I am looking to buy a TJ since the last time I seen my Cherokee the wheels were in the air. :( Anyway, is there any major differences from one year of TJ to the next? such as overdrive auto available in 2000(i think). There are lots in my area so I have lots to pick from. thanks

'00 and newer TJ's use a NV3550 5 speed.
I think they also used a different material in the soft tops,too make the highway ride quieter.

'91-95!!! Ok, Ok, I'm just kidding. If the TJ is your desire I say get the newest one you can afford. The after 2000 and newer do have a few nice changes but they're all very capable and easily modified Jeeps!

2003+ are really hard to come by parts. Trust me I have tried. I am FINALLY seeing stuff for them but it is more expensive. shoot, they just came out with the Bikini at the begining of winter.

All kinda parts available for 03 and 04, never had a prob, as for TJ's if you have the $$ find a 2000 and newer. First time you get into the water and the distributorless ignition gets you through you will be hooked. There where also a lot of things updated in the motor. The sail cloth tops did not get added until 01, overdrive auto also 01. If you get a 98-99 there afew different things that where done to those motors only and later parts could be a problem because of that. and 97 is an animal all unto itself.

i got a 97 and i think its fine. get what ever you can afford, but the distributorless ignition does sound nice, hehehe

don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the 97 it is just that there a few parts to a 97 that are 97 only. They are still a great jeep

ohhh sorry i didnt take that offensivly,, just saying that i got a 97 but since were on the topic, whats on a 97 thats only for a 97? arent 97 and 98 TJ's completly interchangable? the only thing that i have noticed that different to the 97 than others is the vent on the cowl below the windshield.

One little difference I have noticed between the 1999 TJ and the 2000 TJ is the windshield washer sprayers.The 99 shoots like a squirt gun, the 00 shoots mist which cleans the windows better.

97 header is only for 97, Why did they change the vents in 98, still cant figure that one out. ooow weight, mabee it has to do with the fact that my defrost is broken.

WEll if you buy a new JEEP and want to make mods or tear it up right away, you will have trouble finding parts depending on your area.

ECOR you say there is parts available but...You sell parts right?

Here in rural MD, I went to four distributers and ended up at the stealership just to get the right air filter that fit my box. Every place I went to had something wrong for my Jeep.

Also, there were two places that didn't have alignement specs on 03 last month when I tried to get that done. Still haven't done it, its such a hassle.

Parts, it took me from June to October to find parts and sailcloth additions for my 03. I ended up going five states away on vacation and picking up some stuff at thier 4X4 shop and also ordering online.

I think it just takes the service and parts industries awhile to catch up with new models.

I do see more opitions out there now for 03 aftermarket. My rural area may not have them, but they are there.

Just my .02 .

Lady 8)

It took me forever and a day to find a header for the 03+ In 03 they decided to add a nifty little interior windshield frame and said that it "required" the new header. shoot, 4wheel parts and all the 4x4 outlets around here didn't even offer 03 parts until late summer/early fall. Quadratec finally started listing 03 stuffs in the holiday issue. I don't know about up north at ECOR but we had nothing and the parts STILL have to come from across country these days. So, I, personally, would suggest 02 or earlier IF you don't want to depend on Mopar's gosh awful pricing to mod your 03+ then again if you have the Fabbing Skills you can make most TJ stuff fit the 03+

If you're buying used, and this is what I see in my area, 98's and 99's are selling for very short cash around here cause they are all coming off the 5 year lease. I see 98 sports with the D44 option selling for anywhere between 10K-12K with only 50K miles. Thats a deal in my book!

Back