Problem with new front brakes

bryanjeep

I just put new pads in the front. I am running into serious problems now. When I get on the highway, they start to grab and really slow me down. They even start to smoke, or steam. Why is this happening?

Do you think there is such thing as having too much fluid in the line causing too much pressure. I hope that is what it is. The old pads didnt have much meat left on them and I had the reservoir full. When I put the new pads on there, they had a lot more meat on them. Maybe I should have taken some brake fluid out to compensate for the new pad. WHat do I do before I burn down?

Sounds like your calipers are locking up. I paid $15 per side for my Yj's calipers (after core charge) form Pep Boys. You can try taking them apart and cleaning them w/ WD40, but replacing them is cheap and easy. Darn shame you didn't know that you needed them whe you had the brakes off the first time. Oh, and the fluid levels should not make the brakes lock up.

Don't really want to get my hopes up yet. Concert Tuesday night, Primus, so I don't want to get pissed off if it doesn't work. I went and bled my front brakes. So far so good. Made the pedal feel better and the brakes aren't pulling anymore. Only one way to tell. I drive it 32 miles to school tommorrow morning.

Would be nice not to have to drive in 3rd gear just to maintain 55. I will let you know how it goes. I sure hopw I don't have to change the calipers. I already spent enough. A would be $100 brake job has already cost me like $250. :cry:

yea caliper is gettin stuck and probably burning up the pads, there cheap from the parts store and easy to change

Hi,

It definately sounds like frozen calipers. DON'T drive it while they are gripping or you'll wear out the new pads quickly and could warp your rotors and/or cause the brake fluid to boil (which will cause loss of braking power) due to the excessive heat. :shock:

-Nick :!:

Ok, so it got me to school and the concert ok. Not sticking anymore after I bled them. Hopefully the calipers do not need a changing. I guess time will tell if bleeding it didn't do anything. It just seemed like there was way to much pressure in the line so I bled it. We'll see and I will let you know. Thanks guys

Good point, actually the passenger side was a lot tighter. My had to apply more pressure with the c clamp to get it to reset.

likely seized up.. just because you DO get it back in doesn't mean that its gonna return right after pressure

Soft top help

I go through calipers like water. Or is it I go through calipers every time I go through water. Something like that. Actually Every time I leave Paragon I now go straight to the do it yourself car wash and hose out the brakes before I drive home. In the winter I do it every few weeks to wash out the salts. Works wonders and the auto wash has warm water and is easier than doin brakes cause your caliper sticks and burns out your brakes.

yes... it is good to clean the salt out of any part of the vehicle

Back