HELP....CJ has the shakes

1981CJ5

OK, here is the problem.

When I take off in 1st gear, if I do not let the clutch out just right, the front end shakes like every bolt is going to fall out. Ya think it may be the engine mounts? What else should I check?

Last problem (for this week at least), my front end is wandering very badly. I had thought about getting a steering stabilizer, but I read somewhere on here that it would only be a band-aid for the real problem.
When I hit a bump, she really takes off on her own. People passing me will use the shoulder because she is so eratic. What should I check first?

I really appreciate all of yall's help. I basically learned all I know about my CJ and how to work on it from everyone here. Thanks again. Joel

Probably an engine mount.

CJs are known for their less than perfect street manners. I'm not a fan of shackle reversals, so I won't go there. Are you getting bumpsteer or is it just pitching around the road? Make sure all of your bushings are in good shape and that your springs and shocks are not worn out. Check all the steering linkages for slop. When I got my CJ, it had LOOOOOng shackles, all of the suspension bushings were worn out, and the wheel bearings were toast. I could barely drive it through the two neighborhoods between where I bought it and where I live.

Back