Differential Fluid?

MerkL

Aright, while I'm installing my transmission, I'm going to change my diff. fluid as well. It was on my to-do list but never got around to it. My question is what is the best diff. fluid that easily accessible? And I have another question...are there such things as vent hoses that move the vent holes from the diff. to a spot above the frame? Thanks guys.

87 Wrangler

I use regular old 80/90 gear oil. Yes, they are vented. The front one should come up along the side of the radiator. Where the back one goes to, I'm not sure.

The stock YJ diff vent hoses are pretty long, front is up next to the radiator and the rear runs above the fuel tank to near the inside of the taillight.

dont need anything special for oil if it is stock... and the hoses, if they have been removed, should run up above the frame... you can use any standard rubber hose for that

If I didn't get it stuck in that deep to where the water level wasn't above the end of the hoses would I still need to change the diff. fluid?

Open the fill plug in the diff cover and look in with a flashlight to see if it is ok.
Milky=watered down

water can still get in through the axle seals... they are to prevent oil from coming out.. and don't always keep water from coming in

if you wheel your jeep freguentlyu it is always good to change the diff fluid regulary...its a matter of protecting an investment in some cases...like me!!

i never changed my front diff fluid until today and it was just dark no milkyness or no water i was so happy, now i just need to figure out how to do this on purpose

Back