Lift and Tires on a 2003 TJ

MIKE2003TJ

Hey I need some help with tire size and a body lift. When I bought my jeep It came with 30 9.50 on a 15in rim, Has any one put 31 10.50 on there jeep with a 1 inch body lift or no lift at all. And did you have any problems with rubbing the finders or anything else. Also with a 1in body lift do I have to do a motor lift also? I have heard that since I have a 4.0 automatic transmission that the shift linkage might have to be adjusted. I would like to hear from people who have this same setup on there jeep but any help is greatly appreciated since im a first time jeep owner. Thanks Mike

Hey Mike2003TJ! Welcome to the site, you came to the right place...
To answer your question, TJs are known to fit 31x10.5 inch tires on stock wheels with no problem, if you add one inch (i would do a coil spacer instead of a body lift) you can fit 32x11.5 inch tires... although there will probably be some rubbing on the fenders and coil buckets when flexing. I own a YJ but I just read an article about this in JP magazine I think.
good luck with the new jeep!
Joop

Thanks for the info but what is the difference in coil spacers and body lifts? I guess what im asking is what are the pros and cons. And with a spacer lift will I have to change or adjust anything else. Also will it change how my on road driving is affected. Also what do you think about K&N air induction tube and throttle body spacer good or bad worth the money?

Coil spacers go either on top or below the coils, to essentially make it like you have taller springs, putting more room between the axles and the frame. The body lift is just like putting huge washers between the frame and the body. The coil spacers would be a better way to go because they lift every thing, except the axles. The body lift only makes the body sit higher.

Hopefully that makes sence!!

with the coil spacers you wouldn't have to worry about the shift linkage thing, thats why I recomended them.

31's will squeeze under a TJ and be OK on the street. You'll get some rubbing while offroad. Not too many fans of body lifts around here. For various reasons, but I think they're ugly and in my opinion, unsafe. A 1" body lift isn't too bad, especially the ones that are just extended body mounts, but anything over that is pointless to me because for about the same money and less work, a 2" coil spacer (which would look much better) would give you plenty of room for running 31's and you could disconnect the swaybar while offroad and your tires would not rub the body/fenders. Keep the body tight and lift the suspension if you are going to lift.

Interesting XJ

Hi Mike,
I have a 2000 TJ 4.0 Auto and it also came with 30" tires. I installed 2" Teraflex coil spring spacers and 32's and I love it. I'd stay away from body lifts, the spring spacers were easy to install and cheap.
Good luck!
Derrel

Hey MIKE2003TJ, I just pretty much did what you're talking about on a 98 tj. Bought the 2" skyjacker kit (with hydro shocks since most of my driving is too and from work). The install was simple, couple of hours, toughest part was doing the rear top shock mounts with my big hands. After doing the lift, I really wished I had gotten the 32x11.50 instead of the 31x10.50 BFG ATs.

I know you can get spacers from Rusty's off-road for cheap. I didn't have to do any other mods and got no driveline vibrations from the lift. I had
purchased some 3/4" square tubing and was all ready to lower the t-case just in case, but everything was fine. The one thing I did do was replace the speedo gear to match with my gearing and tire size.

Here is a picture of the jeep stock and then with the 2" coil spacer lift and 31" tires

Before (I know, it's pitiful isn't it?)
image-missing.png

After
image-missing.png

hey thanks for all the help i think i will go with the spacer lift on my jeep. does anyone know where i can get the gears to fix my speedo after putting bigger tires on? thanks mike

I think everyone has covered the topic quite completely, But I just wanted to say Welcome to the site!

Ask away! there are no stupid questions, just really screwed up jeeps that the owners never asked questions for!

Your speedo will not change enough to worry about changing the gear. Welcome to site...

I would also go with the spacer or spring lift. Personally I went with the Procomp 2" springs. This gave me tha ability to add spacers to level her out when I get my winch. I hear that you can do the same with spacers but, everyone has their preferances. 31X10.50 will fit under your 03 TJ (stock rims) with no rubbing unless you get Sway-bar Disconnects. Then you will be rubbing when you flex.

1997 Cherokee OBDII Code -Need Advice Please!

You can get the speedo gear at the dealership. Should cost between $7-12.
Like someone else said, you may not need it. I definitely did going from small little stock 27" tires to 31" tires...

hey jugghead, what kind of rims are those? Did you purchase them online?

4wheelparts.com Got 5 tires/wheels. The wheels are Pro Comp street locks.
The website lists them as "Tech 1" wheels however, due to a mix up with the lug pattern, they had to send me a couple of wheels by themselves, they came factory sealed in a Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler box direct from Pro Comp. So either pro comp makes tech 1 wheels (or distributes them), 4wheelparts.com's web page is wrong, or I got tech 1 wheels shipped in pro comp boxes.
Either way, I like them a lot. I wanted BFG ATs but those couldn't be mounted on Cragar street locks. Cragar street locks have a 'bead protector' and BFG ATs have a 'rim protector' and from what I had read, they could not be used together.

www.rubiconexpress.com or www.rustysoffroad.com for the coil spacer lifts, the RE kit comes with nice Doetsch-Tech 3000 shocks and the Rusty's kit comes with his smooth riding hydro shocks.

The coil spacers mount on top of each coil, and some include extended bumpstops. It's a good idea to redrill the front track bar lower mount about .5" to the driver's side to center the front axle after the lift.

Sounds like you're on the right track, stick with the 32"x11.5" seems to be a well-liked combo.

Welcome to jeepz.com

Back