Engine Upgrade?

Matmadus

I'm need the final stages of starting my jeep project and i've come to the engine question again. I can't deside on keeping my 4.0L and finding more power out of it or upgrading to a 318 or 360. so I though i would jump on here and get your input. Plus i would like to keep my jeep manual so i would be looking in to that also.

What do you guys think?

I've driven a 99 ram with the 5.2 and really liked it, so i'm lgoing more that way so far but a little more info wouldn;t hurt.

Thanks For Your Time

Matmadus

showing pics

Your 4.0 probably has about the same amount of horse power as those motor minus a whole lot o' hasle!! I'd go with gears if you g owith bigger tires. Or there are lot of aftermarket parts for tons of extra horse power.

Any time you make that big of a change you have problems. YTea I know there are a ton of jeepers that swear by a V8 but just as many if not more will stand and deliver with a six or even a 4 banger. Remember the KISS rule "Keep it simple stupid". Keep the 4.0 and spend the money else where on the jeep tug

Take it from me I went from a 4 banger to an chevy V8 in a CJ. As far as when I'm Offroad The 4 banger was plenty of power. It's all about low gearing. Thats if your talking rock crawling, slow stuff. Honestly I just wanted a project So I swapped it, And its well worth it, but your 4.0 is close to my now horse power, spend the money somewhere else!

'05 Grand Cherokee

You've got a pretty good engine to work with already. The HO 4.0 is a good engine and can make alot of power if you take time to select a matched combo of parts. The Chrysler 318 and 360 aren't worth the trouble unless you're just a die-hard Mopar fan and you have one laying around. It depends on what you want out of it. What do you want it to do? It sounds like the current level of power the 4.0 is producing isn't enough for you, so....how much more do you want?

I currently researching every option I have because in the next couple months my jeep will come off the road and I’m starting my project full time. I’m looking in to replacing or upgrading a bunch of different things. When I’m done it will be for mudding, trails, shows and just cruising. So I don’t really need a insane about of horsepower I would like enough to be able to push 35’s and still be able to do highways speeds (like 120 Kms) so I was just going to upgrade the crap out of my 4.0L but I have had some people tell me I’m crazy I would never get the power I want to do this out of it and to go V8. So the v8 option is just something I was looking in to. If I was to keep the 4.0L what gears would I want top look in to or just upgrades. Or just any info/ideas you guys mite have for me.

Like I said I’m researching right now and I would like to get a good idea of what I want to do before I start to strip her down.

Thanks for your time

Matmadus

Gear confusion

If the 4.0L is in fine shape, don't mess with it. Regear.

There a many gear calculators online to figure what ratio you should go to.

some people tell me I’m crazy I would never get the power I want to do this out of it and to go V8
you can get some GREAT power out of a 4.0 with a stroker...
the 4.0 itself, unless it is tired like mine, has plenty of torque to do anything you want.. just can't drag race

My old roommate has a 97 Ram with the 318. It gets horrible gas mileage. The power is ok but the mileage hangs between 8-10 mpg and it's bone stock. My 'burb gets better than that. I don't know if all Dodge motors are that bad but based on my knowledge of them, that would be my absolute last choice.
I would say juice the 4.0 or add a supercharger.

What Year

If you want a V8, swap in a V8. this is your jeep not someone elses. the final decision is yours, but I will throw in my $.02 since you asked for it. there are pros and cons to both motors. The mopar is a stout motor, I have a 360 in a 95 3/4 ton 4X4 ram. It gets between 14-16 mpg. The big drawback to the late model dodge motor swap is the fuel injection/intake manifold, but the aftermarket is begining to produce parts to fix these downfalls. The upside is they have the drive shaft down the same side as the wrangler, come with an nv4500 factory and can be had with the HD NP241 t-case. If you decide to go this route, buy a complete truck and remove averything you need and then sell off what is left. My opinion is to go with the dodge. I am about to install a 360/727/FT t-case in my new project, 1974 CJ-6.

Back