Front Axle Disconnect?

yes, that is a very good setup.. and take it from tug.. its really easy

I plan on getting the front D30 welded as soon as I can find someone to do it once this is done.

In addition to the work preformed in that ad go ahead and tap the hole you drill in the diff houseing to fit a bicycle cable adjuster to run you cable through. This will give you a little adjust ment for when the cable streches and will help to keep water and stuff out as well. The after you finish up silicon calk around the cable and diff conection. tug

yeah, actually went to the bike store today and got all the items needed. The sales guy was an engineer major and was really interested in my project so he hooked me up on some prices. Went to ace and got the springs needed and went ahead and got the drill bit and tap needed for my adjusting screws. Might as well do it right the first time.

Money and time well spent. Now when you have this done you will be able to put up in 4Lo this disconect the front axels and trail ride in 2Lo. If you are in 4wd lo or hi and want to make a tight turn in a dry area you just disconect the front make the tun and never have to change up the transfer case doing so. Trailing in 2Lo fifth gear is the wildest thing and being able to just pull that lever and kick in the 4wd power at will is oh so nice. tug

Hey Tug, quick question. Im about to start this project this morning. Where did you run the cable for this? And where did you mount you lever (shifter)? I wanted to mount my lever under the dash (slide it sideways) parallel to the dash. I have six feet of cable to work with. I can get more if needed, just wanted to keep from running through the shifter hole due to my mounting location.

Came thru the fire wall mounted my shiger under the dash driver side so one no one but me would ever monkey with it. Hey what is this and giver a pull at 65 mph. Know what I mean. tug

Well, got her done and all looks good. Took a bit longer than I expected but it works great. So the only time I engag the front axle is when I am in 4WD - then I would disengage around tight turns etc. What happens if I engage the frt axle in 2WD? anything? I guess not, not with the xfer case engaged ???? THanks for your help TUg, went through the firewall in an existing hole.

The front axle disconnect will grind if you engage it while in 2wd. Always engage the transfer case first, then the front axle disconnect.

You really don't need to disengage the front axle when in 4wd if you have an open front differential. The open diff does not hamper your turning at all. If you're locked in the front you will benefit by disconnecting on the tightest turns.

Therefore the biggest benefit of the manual diconnect with the open diff is being sure the front axle is engaged, not having to rely on the vacuum to do the job.

I like the vacuum system, well, tolerate it is more like. It's not bad once you get a knack for troubleshooting it and fixing it, even on the trail. I've got a manual vacuum switch that disconnects the front axleshaft while in 4wd.

You are so welcome. I am sure as time goes you will find all the neat tricks of haven it there at your finger tips. Tug

Would this be benificial to a cj7 and would installation be pretty much the same?

CJ7 does not have a front disconnect axle, it is one of those YJ only things and a few years on the cherokee.

Back