Welding my D30???

beachjeep

I am looking into having my front D30 welded (lincoln locker). Does anyone know of any links that detail this procedure? Also, what kinds of places will do this and what can I expect to pay? Seems like there might be some liability issues with the shop.

Thanks in advance.

not sure of prices ? When you weld the spyder gears they first need to be grinded. The oil actually seeps into the metal?
Use stainless steel wire (mig) or a 309 rod (arc).. just buy a lockrite.
Maybe use warn internals .
Good luck :)

do the cable conversion to the vaccuum thing ... disconnect before you make a tight turn . its the exploding parts that worry me.

I've been Lincoln Locked front and rear for a few years now, no problems (D30 and D35).

Have somebody weld it with a 220 MIG for good penetration, I tried Arc welding and it didn't hold as well. Make sure they fill all 8 corners where the spiders mesh with a LOT of metal.

Only prep work I did was a good cleaning with carb cleaner, then air.

You may not find a shop that will do it due to liability. Small town shops may be more likely.

Bounty,

Would I be able to remove the spider gears myself, prep them and just have someone fill them in and reinstall myself? Or would I need to have someone setup the gears afterwards?

Im not well versed on diffs , does anyone have a picture of their spiders filled in?

They should be welded inside the differential. I need to get some pics of mine next time I'm in there.

This method basically makes a mini-spool out of the 4 spider gears, making them one solid chunk of splined metal.

Back