How to get better gas mileage with a 2003 TJ?

MIKE2003TJ

I was wondering what mods I can do to really improve gas mileage.
A friend said the a new K&N filter with the throttle body spacer will help out a lot but he don’t have a jeep. Also he said a bug deflector might help sounds dumb but that’s why am asking for advice.

Yer driving a brick..ya didn't buy the jeep for gas mileage i'm sure. I got a K&N filter in my airbox and don't really notice any differnce in gas mileage. As for the spacer..I'm not sure but it think that would just give you more power no? Bug deflector prolly wouldn't do anything in the long run.

where to get 4" springs

better gas milage = don't drive as much

k&n...well when i put mine in..i got bigger tires, so i saw it go down

i have no idea about a bug deflector :shock:

I average about 14 around the city and I have the K&N drop in filter. Only solution I see is to go easy on the skinny pedal. Shift sooner if a manual Transmission. I experimented on one tank and shifted when the little arrow told me to. I got 17 or 18 mpgs on that tank.

Or you could try this...:lol:

image-missing.png

Drafting. When on the highway, stay behind 18-wheelers. If none are available, any car will do. Cut down on your wind resistance. When you have a 4-banger with 33's, you find this out quick. I like to stay about 12 feet behind 18-wheelers... I can almost coast at 60mph.

C

south442 said:
I average about 14 around the city and I have the K&N drop in filter. Only solution I see is to go easy on the skinny pedal. Shift sooner if a manual Transmission. I experimented on one tank and shifted when the little arrow told me to. I got 17 or 18 mpgs on that tank.

Or you could try this...:lol:

image-missing.png

LMAO! Good one.

But really, our Jeeps are going to be horrible with regards to gas mileage. Best thing to do is practice good driving habbits.-al

i think that's the dude from the west wing, and billy madison in the back.....

Rusty's has a performance kit for $225.. worked great on my 4-cyl .. also took out the back seat and got about 17 mpg from 14 (but ended up replacing the weight in speakers)... this weekend im taking off the spare and 3rd brakelight maybe that will lighten 'er up..
also keep it around 60 mph and just cruise ... youll be amazed at the better mileage....i get an extra 50 miles on a 12 gal. tank...

it only holds about 12 gal when i fill it up .... close to 13 if its on a slope.... i said extra 50 if i drive slow...

Back