Why My jeep won't start

bermeced

gray dash parts from wrangler

I hope someone can help. My problem --- I have a 1980 CJ7 with a 258 and an auto transmission, and the other day I stopped at a store and the jeep would not start. I would turn the key and absolutely nothing -- just as if i were sitting there not even turning the key. No noises what so ever. The battery is holding a charge. The next day, i get in and turn the key and it starts right up. A few days later -- the same thing happens. Could it be the ignition switch? I don't think it is the starter -- wouldn't that make some kind of noise at least? I just cannot figure it out????????

Had a similar problem with my 87 Wrangler. Ended up being a loose connection in the ignition switch. The quick fix when that did happen was tilt the steering wheel down and hit "tap" the steering column with an angry fix and she started right up. Real solution was just replace the ignition switch. No biggie

Try the starter solenoid on the inner fender if that doesn't work. They will usually click when you hit the key, if they are bad.

Try starting it in neutral. My buddy has an 82 model that he sometimes has to wiggle the shifter to get it to start.

Had the same problem on my 80 CJ5 after replacing starter, Solinoid, Cleaned all of the cables. I found that my negative wire was not sealed anymore and was coroding were you could not see it. I swapped it out and have not had a problem with it.

Back