limited slip in a dana 30

dick_wilderness

any one have a limted slip in the front of there TJ?

also a 30 wont handle a locker, right?

for that matter its not reccomened to lock a 35, right?

i could be completely wrong :roll:

Lock them all. The worst thing they'll do is break and give you an excuse to upgrade. My 30 and 20 are locked. 8)

There are a couple of guys in my club that run locked D30's that are other wise stock. a popular locker would be the Lockright soft locker, or a power trax unit.

Some type of lunch box locker should do you fine!

Bestop Windjammer YJ Black denim

I'm not sure if that was a really weak attempt at sarcasm or just someone trying to feel surperior. :roll:

Sooooo let me claify..... I heard ALL lockers are noisy. Are they so when disengaged (meaning selectable)?

I'm sorry, I never knew anyone with one. My bad on that :lol:

And sometimes when you read manufacture's literature it's a little unclear as well as misleading.
My bad again. :lol:

Hey DW the lockers will not always be locked unless you weld em up as in lincoln lockers or do a spool. So they will not be locked full time. The only time you will have tight steering is when they are locked up. You will be fine unless you are on dry sometime and just forget to unlock and the mechinal lockers will now when to release and when not to. There is a lot of wright ups on lockers that you could go read but that is what this site is for. To get the words you need from the members when you need them. I hope mine helped you a bit and saved you the time of hunting down the info. I just hope this site is always ready to help anyway they can when ever they can as it has always been. Good luck in your locker quest. Tug

If you spool the front, you can do a posi lock to lock and unlock as you need it. That's how Bounty has his and it seems like a great way to go because unlocked, it will perform as an open diff.

Thanks fellas, one more thing.

When a locker breaks, is all that needs to be replaced the locker itself? or will there more damage to the diff?

That is a loaded question cause when something breaks the parts and pieces can destroy things around it or not. The bind created could cause real damage to other parts or not. You just have to take your chances on that one. tug

Kind of like when I bought a jeep and said to myself...."Offraoding MAY cause some damage...can you incur the cost of reapiar?" am I right?

* "may" being the operative word here

Another option, and is way more expensive, but want to make sure you know all the options, convert the front end to manual locking hubs. again, very expensive to do, but is another option, plus will increase the durability of the front end.
As for the lunch box lockers, the people that have them have told me that they are great. they are noticable when turning lock to lock at slow speeds under throttle, but nothing that would be unexpected!

Back