1. So I'm now sure the steering shaft seal is leaking on my 97 power steering gearbox. I was hoping one of you guys has replaced this "upper" seal before and might offer some advice. First, is this doab;e without a lot of shop tools (like presses). Second, what is the best way to get the Pitman Arm nut off? Third, does the gear-box simply slip off the steering yoke once the pinch bolt is removed, or is it pretty tough to get the unit off?

Thanks in advance.
    Ferg

I have a rebuild kit for my stearing box I am just to lazy to do it. It only leaks a little. As far as the pitman arm nut I had to use an impact to get it off. Mine was on the floor at the time. You should be able to use a breaker bar to get it off. To get the pitman arm off I tightened up a puller then used a BFH to break it loose.

If it is like the one on my CJ the shaft should slip off when the nut is loosened.
    80 CJ5 258, T-176, D300, D30, M20, Tera Flex Discos, Blazer Blower, Power Stearing, Power Brakes, Detroit Locker, Superior shafts, 32\" Mud Kings

Oil Lines on a flathead CJ 3A

best way to get the pitman nut off is to use a loooong piece of pipe for leverage or a good impact gun.... after lots and lots of PB blaster... but the nut is not the trouble... the pitman arm itself is the trouble
    93 YJ 4.0
    Spring Over, 33x12.50 Mastercraft Courser M/T, High Flow Exhaust, Diamondplate Rear Bumper, Trimmed Flares, 6\" spotters

We, the Sovereign People of the Universe, wish to live in peace. We live among you, but we are not of you.