pcv

odjeep

:x OK. No matter how i hook up the pcv i still have enough pressure to make oil come out of the dip stick tub. I have the short dipstick tube, its like 3 inches long. What is the problem here?? Would a longer dipstick tube fix it or does the engine just have too much blowby. In my opinion the blow by is not bad at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated because im kinda at the end of my fuze. :evil:

od

PS- what kind of junk yard is closed on saturday? Isnt saturday about the only day most of us have to go to the junk yard? I can understand sunday, but saturday??

im thinkin its the rings unfortunately. When I rebuilt the engine though the tollerances all checked out and the walls werent scored or anything. Should I do a compression check? Thanks for any help

od

a compression check is the best way to see how your rings are... and... just because the walls aren't scored doesn't mean they aren't out of shape

It's blowing oil because you've got no vacuum pulling on the transfer case to burn up the pressure in the case. Check all vacuum lines for a collapsed line, and check one of the vacuum lines towards the front of the engine that has a plastic splice in the middle of the line. This plastic piece has a small orifice in it that often becomes clogged, causing problems.

Lemme know what you find.

MINGEZ!!!

I checked all the pcv lines and they are all fine. The only constant vaccuum line that i have off of the mc carb is on the rear passenger side of the carb and that is where i had it attached to, i tried having it attached to the port on the bottom of the edelbrock breather and the rear vent line attached to the carb and visa versa but have had no success. Tomarrow im gonna fab a longer dipstick not so much as to try and stop the leakage but to avoid my hand from becomming a catortionist from trying to check the oil. My next step is to replace all of my pcv lines because they already have too many connectors and even though they may seem alright id just feel better if I KNOW that they are all clear. I have a new pcv at front of the valve cover but is that supposed to be another pcv valve at the rear? Its kind like a pcv but it has no bottom to it. It was on there when I got the jeep and I just thought it was the way the vent is supposed to be. I have 2 ports on the bottom of my air cleaner wouldnt this provide sufficient vaccuum if I hooked both lines (front and back) to these ports.
Thanks guys for all ur help.

od

There should be two large PCV lines coming from the top of the valve cover. One sucks fresh air FROM the air cleaner, the other has strong vacuum from the intake manifold or carb. Air goes into the crankcase from the air filter and out the crankcase into the intake manifold or carb to be burnt. This is the PCV cycle.

I used to have a YJ 258 and I forget if the PCV valve was on the line in the front or the rear of the valve cover. It should be whichever line goes to the carc/intake, not the line from the air filter.

As I laid in bed last night I was thinking that that might be how it goes. Im pretty sure the front is the pcv and the back is the intake vent. Since i done have the stock air cleaner does the vent line still go to this or could I put a crankcase vent on it like a chevy has? I have the edelbrock pro flo 1000 reuseable aircleaner so the only ports that it has are ones with some vaccuum due to the restriction of the filter and I believe on the stock setup the vent line went to a port on the side of the cleaner assembly on the outside of the filter so it could suck in fresh air. Thanks.

od

You can just put a small filter on it since it just sucks fresh air, that is if the PCV is working correctly and it's not pushing oil and air out that line.

Back