Carter carb questions

cliffn

Hi everybody. I am recently new on the boards and have a few questions to get my jeep a little ironed out. I've seen some of the 2150 carb posts and plan on converting over to it but for now I'm just trying to smooth my carter out.

I was wondering what years did the carter bbd come with electric choke and stepper motor and solenoids. I have an 85 cj7 258 manual transmission and my carter only has a manual choke no stepper or is not plugged into any electrical. Only 2 of the vacuum lines are being used, one straight out the back for air filter container assembly and one at the bottom rear driverside plugs up to the vacuum advance. all the rest are plugged.

Does this sound right from other carter users or anyone?

Has anyone attempted the nutter bypass and is that relevent to my carter without the stepper motor?

Just some last questions in hopes of this crapper to work out otherwise i'm scrappin it.
thanx

I was just checking out some of the previous posts about this carb. There was alot of attempts to smooth it out with the mixture screws. Does anyone know how to set the pump assembly position and vacuum assembly piston position (under the dust cover assembly)? I have the factory specs but they don't seem right.

Thanks for replying. I recently rebuilt the carb. The venturi tubes were all clear before and after the rebuild.

If you have an 85 then you should have the stepper motor. I think it switched over in 82 or so. Maybe a previous owner switched it out? I have a 79, so I have never looked too seriously into the Nutter bypass, but I believe its just meant to wire the newer Carters to function like the older ones like mine, so if you don't have the electric, the Nutter shouldn't apply. I can't give you too much help on the vacuum lines because the previous owner of mine removed the stock air box and re-routed some hoses. Good luck.

So, since my wiring would be set up to read a stepper motor and I don't have one then am I missing out on performance? I would think the stepper motor would help in idling and smoother acceleration, but what do i know about it. never had one.

From what I have read, I think the stepper motor was an attempt to improve the emissions of the 258 and was not a performance gain. I think that was set up on a feedback loop with the O2 sensor. At least 20 years later it hampers performance, thus the nutter bypass. If you have the electric version and its not plugged in, that might be a problem, or it could be that the previous owner did the nutter bypass already.

You should be able to idle fine either way if its a recent rebuild. Sorry, I don't know much about carbs to help you adjust it. I would just check out the pics online to make sure you don't have the stepper motor. What exactly are your symptoms anyway?

It runs ok down the road. Its just when accelerating quickly it sputters and hesitates. Right as that stops acceleration drops to a very low rpm rate then clears out. I have made many adjustments of the mixture screws but I really need to find that sweet spot by adjusting tabs under the dust cover (the right timing of the metering rods moving up allowing gas into the jets and the pump assembly squirting it into the chamber). Thanx for the feedback :D

Back