**I want bead locks..maybe**

conejo1

I want some bead locks ..(maybe) ...I want some real opinions ...the shops who sell them say that they are great (of course) ...I have a cj-7 w/ 33x12.5 ,,this is my daily driver and it does 80mph everyday ,,, but I like to take it up the hills and on the rocks and the ability to air down "way-low" would help ,,, but I dont want to have wheels that wont balance or stay balanced ,,, plus I want a brand that is durable ...any opions or advice would help ....[addsig]

I don't know what brand is better than others, but you might want to look into your local bylaws before putting them in. I had them and got fined for them. Apparantley they're illegal on the street in a lot of places.[addsig]

The Canadians r always to tuff on enforceing the laws ,,,here in Oklahoma as long as you dont drive like ..Bo & Luke Duke ...they leave you alone ....[addsig]

Just an oppinion, but airing down is over rated, a little softer (22 to 25 PSI) helps take some of the jar out of rocks and does help a little in climbing. But the chances of tire or rim damage usually outweigh the benefits. I´ve seen alot of tires cut by the rim and dented rims from aired down tires. On our desert racers we always glued the tire to the rim, but of course when it was flat/punctured we had to throw the whole works away.[addsig]

A high quality contact cement. Made to glue formica and such in the kitchen, temp. resisitant to boiling water. Seemed to hold, almost to good. We seated the tires with the glue still wet and let it set under pressure. It didin´t work well when the glue was set and then seating. Seemed to hold a flat tire on the rim for a good long ways.[addsig]

..man that sounds like an much easier ..and cheaper solution , than buying bead loxs and trying to get them balanced ,,,thanxs for the info..[addsig]

I work at service station and we have some glue that is made to go around the beads of tires. I would think that your local tire shop or a service station that fixes tires would have it. I'm nolt sure if it would work for this situation but when we to use it to seal leaky beads it works well. Next time I'm at work I look to see what the stuff it actually called. Hope this helps. Evan[addsig]

Re: **I want bead locks..maybe**

its called bead sealer it will fill in the gaps some but doesnt bond to the rim like a glue will. i used to work for a tire company and we used alot of that stuff. doesnt help if it goes flat.

well if your worried about the man and getting a ticket with bead locks or not wanting the trouble mounting and un-mounting them take a look at Staun's internal bead locks
I like these since I don't have to un-bolt the bead lock to change or fix a tire.

I have to disagree with the fact airing down doesn't make a difference. If your doing any serious rock climbing or hard trails you should be airing down to atleast 12-15 psi. Most of the time the tire will stay on with 10 or more psi. single digit can be tricky depenting on terrain. also a 8" wheel will hold the bead better then a 10" and steel holds better then aluminum. I run 10 at moab and con' and lower in the snow and have only lost a bead twice in over 5 yrs................. my .02

Well since it has been brought back anyway...
How many DOT legal beadlocks are out there now. I know the company that makes the hummer wheels sells a pricey DOT legal aluminum wheel and I want to say the AEV's new wheel they are putting on JK's is DOT legal...the 5 spoke wheel with the Ferrari looking logo.
I would think with a higher quality beadlock, you wouldn't have as hard a time balancing. Of course alot depends on the tire. I would think most complaints on balancing beadlocks stems from the tire not being properly centered before the ring was bolted down. Many wheels have a lip the helps center the tire. My particular set does not, but they are pretty well balanced even with 42 Iroks.
Utah, I always thought the beadlocks were way easier to mount because you don't need a tire machine to break the bead. Simply unbolt the one side, turn it over and jump on the other side. I removed my old 40's and mounted my 42's in my shop by myself using an air compressor, air ratchet, pry bar, mallet and a milk crate to rest the rim on. It's physical work, but not bad. How do you install the Staun's? Get one bead over the rim, then insert the lock tube and set the other bead? I understand how they prevent the beads from folding in, but do they do anything to prevent the rim from spinning inside the tire. Although I don't see that much, it's something to consider when you have a high HP rig operating in wet conditions. Those Stauns are cool nonetheless.

Utah, I always thought the beadlocks were way easier to mount because you don't need a tire machine to break the bead. Simply unbolt the one side, turn it over and jump on the other side. I removed my old 40's and mounted my 42's in my shop by myself using an air compressor, air ratchet, pry bar, mallet and a milk crate to rest the rim on. It's physical work, but not bad. How do you install the Staun's? Get one bead over the rim, then insert the lock tube and set the other bead? I understand how they prevent the beads from folding in, but do they do anything to prevent the rim from spinning inside the tire. Although I don't see that much, it's something to consider when you have a high HP rig operating in wet conditions. Those Stauns are cool nonetheless.

Red, most tire shops will not mess with bead locks because of the liability involved and the hassle of removing them. Most shops in Moab will do them for 40-60$ depending on the tire size.
The Stauns are easy to mount all you have to do is drill a hole into your rim 27 degree's or more off from your valve stem and use the special grommet to seal the inner tube/bead locker. With the inner bead locker aired down you can mount your tire as normal and seat the tire to the rim with the Staun inner bead lock. Once the tire is seated you can air up the inner tube to 50 psi and it will expand to hold the inner tire beads against the rim's both inner and outer. At 8 psi I get no tire spin even doing the 'Moab Hop'.
So far I have had no problems except for balancing them, But I use only one tire store up here in the Salt Lake valley and they make sure to turn the tire to balance before adding weights, since my rims are taco'ed already and my tires are not the greatest I still carry an absurd amount of weights on the inner rim, so I cant say if the Stauns do add something to an out of balance condition.
I will keep you all informed since I am looking at set of 33's Toyo's, dropping tire size and brands.

Last edited:

My beadlocks only require the removal of 8 bolts to pull the tire off. And you don't even have to take the rim off the vehicle. Hell's yea. Gimme an impact and my tire is off the rim in less then ten minutes. Oh, and they're DOT approved.

What did you do about the run flats? PVC or rubber?
I dig the hummer wheels. They look the best with a fresh coat of paint and some shiny new hardware.

Just cut down the mag run flats. I'm a broke college student, remember?

Back