XJ axle in a CJ swap?

Biskit

Hello, all! I have purchased a government surplus 1985 Jeep CJ-10a. It's been fun so far getting the transmission working and popping the thing into hi gear, but I currently commute in it and am slowly changing it into what I want. My current dilemma is the front tube is just an axle without a differential and I want to change that. I've found a local person with a 1986 XJ they are parting out and I'm wondering if the front axle will fit in my CJ...it's dimensions up front are typical CJ-7...it's the drivetrain and the rear that get a bit strange.

Thanks!
Tom

The XJ D30 has a driver's side diff, you'll want a D30 with a passenger side diff if you ever want 4wd easily.

Is the CJ10a considered 1/4 ton like the CJ, or does it have a larger rear axle and rating? What rear axle does it have?

Bounty__Hunter said:
The XJ D30 has a driver's side diff, you'll want a D30 with a passenger side diff if you ever want 4wd easily.

Thanks. So the XJ is not a good swap...I suppose I'll have to cruise the junkyards looking for a CJ.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Is the CJ10a considered 1/4 ton like the CJ, or does it have a larger rear axle and rating? What rear axle does it have?

Get this, the CJ-10a has a Dana 70 rear! Talk about heavy duty! The rear axle is about 16" or so wider than the front. I said the backend was weird.

Tom

I thought it was a LOT heavier than a CJ7, your mention of a CJ7 in the initial post threw me.

Wasn't the CJ10a used for an aircraft tug?

Check the width of the front axle, and find a D60 or HeavyD44 the similar width. Good donors would be old jeep full-size pickups like the J20, J2000, J30, J3000 etc. Chevy and Ford axles may work equally as well.

funny commercial

Bounty__Hunter said:
I thought it was a LOT heavier than a CJ7, your mention of a CJ7 in the initial post threw me.

Sorry, I just found that a ton of CJ7 stuff fits on it perfectly!

Bounty__Hunter said:
Wasn't the CJ10a used for an aircraft tug?

yup. Spent its life stuck in low gear towing aircraft and munitions around Hill AFB. After getting it into hi gear, I'm hitting around 63 mph or so before the governor kicks in. I'm planning on changing the 4.88 rear gears for 4.10 shortly.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Check the width of the front axle, and find a D60 or HeavyD44 the similar width. Good donors would be old jeep full-size pickups like the J20, J2000, J30, J3000 etc. Chevy and Ford axles may work equally as well.

Thanks!

Tom

Does it have a transfer case? Does the transfer case have a front output?

You shouldn't have trouble finding a buyer for 4.88 gears since everybody wants to go lower, generally.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Does it have a transfer case? Does the transfer case have a front output?

Yes to both. I'll have to install a shifter and linkage as part of the 4wd project.

Bounty__Hunter said:
You shouldn't have trouble finding a buyer for 4.88 gears since everybody wants to go lower, generally.

That's great, but I'll hold onto them for a bit...not sure where this thing will end up, but I know I really like the diesel motor.

Tom

Back