2100 Questions.

KletusJeeps

I put the motorcraft 2100 carb on my jeep and was going to hook up the choke today and noticed only one plug for a wire...I assumed it was for the positive so I hooked it up and it never once moved the choke. She runs great in the top end of gears but in the bottem end of gears and cold starts she is a beast, I assumed this was the choke not being hooked up. Any ideas on this choke that I thought was electric?

I guess an easier question would be has anyone put a manual choke on a motorcraft 2100 and has good luck with it?

i put the manual on a couple weeks ago....... it works great- the electric one was shotty and worked only when it wanted to...

little more info

yeah- i hope this works (sorry for the size)

image-missing.png

its made out of plexiglass, 4 12V30A rocker switches (radio shack) and a push button on the side. the push button works the windshield washer fluid because when i bought the jeep, it didnt have a directional lever with the control, so when i stole one out of a junk XJ and put it in, i lost the ability to wash the glass. the top rocker switch is a master switch that will allow power to go to the other rockers (which light up when they are on). The rockers are wired to a constant 12v source so i can use the lights without the key. the wiper fluid only works with the key in. As of right now, the switch on the left works this bright dome light that i ziptied onto my roll bar. the other 2 switches arent hooked up yet, but i plan on using them for spot lights in the front and back when i get them.

Hey red...I was trying to tune my carb today, after putting in my new manual choke, and it just wasnt working out for me. My jeep idles fast and it seems to get too much gas and not enough air at idle or low rpm (getting the infamous grey/white clouds behind me) but at high rpm it seems to work itself out of these problems... I have messed with the two fuel/air mixtures on the back and at idle with the choke off it seems to have no change no matter how i screw those screws.... Am I doing something wrong? do you have any suggestions? do you tune your own carb? let me know, give me some insight because i am about to passout because of the exhaust in my cab.

i believe you are supposed to get the mixture right first, then set the idle. turning the screws in leans out the mixture and out will enrich the mixture. this is my first car with a carb, so im not really proficient in tuning it myself. tug told me to turn in one screw until the engine starts to choke and lose idle... then back it out 1/4 turn... then do the same on the other side. it was something like that. after that, lower your idle and that should take care of the mixture (roughly... fine tuning is gonna take a while longer.) as for the choke, i find that you have to step and hold the pedal down when you pull it out, then let it up slowly before you start it, let it run in fast idle for a while, push it in and kick it down. its a little tricky sometimes. lately mine is starting to get a little tempermental, so im gonna tool around a little bit tommorrow and try to get to the bottom of it.

k- forget everything that i said about tuning the carb-
im a moron. im strictly a fabrication/bolt-on kind of wrenchhead- i know very little about adjusting anything or diagnosing anything, but im learning.

go here instead...

http://www.recarbco.com/technical/idle/idle_adjust.html

very simple and direct- just the way i like it

Back