i need info on swapping a 304 to a 350

lilbillyg

help, i have a 304 on 7 cylinders and dieing fast, i want a 350 to replace it, i have a turbo350 or turbo400 auto transmition, besides exhaust and motor mounts, what will be required?? this will be my first engine work, explain SLOWLY thanks is this really going to be a major mess???

My '77 has the GM TH400. with full time Quadratrac. I don't beleive Jeep ever used the TH350.

Note : Gm built the TH350 for 1/2 ton pickups. The TH400 was designed for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, it was the transmission of choice for tow truck operators. The box is dang near bulletproof If properly maintained.

Being a GM product as is the GM 350 V8, will the bellhousing bolt holes line up to the 350 V8? Or, does the TH400 used by jeep have a Jeep bolthole pattern ?

I don't know. A transmission shop may be able to tell you.

hey thanks for the reply, i am finding out about the bellhousing bolting right up to the th400, other than that, do you think that there is any other major problems that i might incounter??

------------------
billy bedson

Off the top of my head there are a few things which may need to be addressed:

- a new wiring harness
- possibly a new radiator, depending on how the hoses mated up

I haven't done an engine swap either, so let me know if I'm off the mark

Terry

lilbillyg ,

Goto http://advanceadapters.com/index515.html

They will have the necessary motor mounts, trans adapter if needed and other info about the hoses.

They are the experts on weird motor swaps, and your is probably one of the most common swaps of all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Look what i found from Moses Ludel, Jeep guru :

"I suggest contacting Advance Adapters about a catalog on V8 swaps for the Cherokee and Commanche (same). The catalog will describe necessary modifications and any trouble areas, plus give some idea about the cost involved."

If they have a Cherokee/Comanche catalog I'm sure there is also a CJ catalog.

hey, sillsmack and terry, thanks for the help i will look for both of you guys after i get back i town and let you know about the swap, mmuucchh appreciated. billy

Back