axle swap ???

UrbanJeep

I wanted a 2nd opinion on a axle swap... I have a D35 under my 2k TJ and I just lifted it... I am in serious need of some new tires and wheels and I want to go up to a 33". I am concerned with blowing up my D35 cause its my daily driver and it can't go down for more than two days for repair... I was wondering if I could get away with just upping the gear ratio to like 4.10 and would this help prevent my destroying my D35. Right now I have 3.08 gears and I know I need a new carrier but I really don't want to throw a ton of money into a D35. I also want to get disc brakes as well and thats why I wanted to swap to a ford 8.8 with disc brakes... I just get the new shock mounts and spring pads welded on, a porportion valve for the brakes and a flange adapter for it and it will go on. However, I have heard complaints about the 8.8 being too big and draggin sometimes while wheelin... I new a guy who was running 34"s and still draggin it in some spots and I don't want to hack job the pumpkin to get it to have more clearance... I can probably get a D44 from a TJ that would bolt right up for around the same price.. Anyone's imput is much appreciated... :roll:

if it is a daily driver, and you don't do anything heavy like ramping or such... especially if you keep an open differential, the 35 with 33s should hold up. 4.10's will actually put more stress on the axle... when the tires won't move... your powertrain will be able to put more torque on the axle, thus making it more likely to break

The lower gears you get, the weaker. Example; 4.11's are stronger than 4.56 gears. If you can find a better rear end for a good price, go for it! But just remember the 35 will hold 33's just fine.

Please check this out!

I think once the Jeep is totally paid off then I will get serious... but the only other thing is I probably shouldn't try to lock it?? It would just add stress to the whole thing when I'm wheelin... We had a guy on our Michigan group who took his out wheelin ( totally stock) and like 15 mins into beating on his TJ the axle shaft snapped...

It's a matter of driving style, but stock stuff is more likely to break because you have to push it harder to get it to go. But then again if you re-gear, you put more stress on the shafts themselves due to the increase in torque and weight of the tire.
If I were you and had to drive it daily, I would find someone with a TJ dana 44 for sale. Some shops may have them laying around from another conversion. You may also check E-bay. Ihave also heard that there is one company that is selling just the housings and you can gear it and put in your own shafts.

The 8.8 doesn't hang that much lower than the D35, it won't be noticable offroad. And the D35 isn't as weak as 'they' say. The problem here lies with what 'they' say. 'They' seem to always exagerate things. 'They' see something happen and associate that with everything else of the same type, despite applying common since and rationale.

You can run 33" tires on a 4/10 geared D35 behind the 4.0L and be just fine, even with moderate wheeling. The problem lies with hard wheelin, or running with a locker and not taking it easy on the skinny pedal. Lots of skinny pedal with a D35 auto locker will snap an axleshaft.

Then there's the age old advise of 'run what you brung' or 'run it til it breaks'. I think you'll be just fine. If you decide down the road that you want to wheel that jeep harder, you can then upgrade to an 8.8 as they can be found stock with 4.11 gears, limited slip, and disc brakes for around $500.

Thanks Bounty__Hunter for the info... BTW do you go to the Badlands in Attica, IN often since your not too far from there???

yea but would you spend almost 700bux for the super 35 kit. I wouldn't, good idea, bad price.

I posted this a while ago, everyone thinks that the D35 is a horrible rear, when in fact it is not, perhaps it is the driveing style of the people who break them that is wrong.

I have the Stock D30 D35 on my YJ, with stock 307 gears and everything is original and factory. I run a 33" tire, and I like to think I wheel it pretty hard! But... I also have ytaken precautions that will increase the longevity of my axles. I chose wheels that don't stick out too far and increase the stress on my bearings, and I Change the diff fluid every three oil changes just in case some water made it's way in there, these are some things I do. Also my manner of driving differs from a lot of people. I will use Lauraboston as a example cause we wheel together, and have different methods!

Laura used to, and sometime still perfers the gas method of tackling a obstical. she has a 03 TJ, she has broken the T-case, out put shaft, the front end is tweeked, the controlarm is bent and what ever else has happened.

I have a YJ with hi miles and a lot more trail time, I perfer the crawl method. Instead of a heavy foot, I rely on spotting the line, tire placement, and driver skill to conquer obsticals. (I am not saying Laura has no skill, in fact I was amazed at how little gas she used in paragon this weekend!)

I have never had any axle whoes to date.

If you want to go larger than 33" tires, then I would start to consider the upgrades, The super D30 for the front and a 8.8 in the rear will handle 35's no problem!!

I perfer the crawl method. Instead of a heavy foot, I rely on spotting the line, tire placement, and driver skill to conquer obsticals

that is the way... can't bump through everything... but then... there ARE some cases where bumping is the only way

Back