better ride?

picky

I just purchased a 1987 wrangler in great orig cond. What is the most economical way to improve the ride quality? thanks for any input! :roll:

Check to see what shocks it has, chances are the stock shocks were replaced with stiff riding gas shocks. Install hydraulic shocks like Doesch-Tech 3000's or Rusty's Hydros.

I had a 94 YJ that road completely like crap. I replaced all suspension bushings with Poly ones and put a Daystar Shackle lift on it along with a new Rancho single steering stabilizer. I then replaced the weenie 195 series tires with a set of 31's and the ride and handling was amazing compared to what it was. The Daystar Shackles have a cross piece that adds strength and helps prevent side to side sway at highway speeds. Good luck!

M_J

Stick with rubber bushings and not poly if you want a smooth ride. Poly is stiffer and transmits more vibes and bumps, rubber absorbs them.

Agree. Rubber will absorb more impacts than poly. Poly just translates it into the next touching material (ie, metal). Poly will last longer, no doubt, but it also costs more. I'd even go as far as to replace your transmission mount and motor mounts. Just go to the parts store and get the stock replacement. They're rubber.

Remember, though. It's still a Jeep. You can only smooth it out so much.

Corey

picky said:
I just purchased a 1987 wrangler in great orig cond. What is the most economical way to improve the ride quality? thanks for any input! :roll:
Buy a Caddy!

jk, all thats mentioned is a good place to start but remember that a short wheel base vehicle will never ride like a luxo car!

Dude you bought a jeep!!!!! I agree with everyone but mostly with jps it will never ride like a luxury car no matter what you do. I personally loved the way my yj road It made me feel like I owned a true truck. If you dont have bump its not a jeep. :wink: I think everyone will agree. My grand cherokee limited editon, fully loaded still rides like crap but hey then again it too is a JEEP. Good luck.

Back