Jeep is out, semi-dry and still won't run, but still stuck i

jeeperwilly

I completely waterlogged my 92' YJ and its 2.5 . I can't get it to start. If anyone has any information that could help me get my little beast started I would really appreciate it. I have to get it started so I can get back home to minnesota. Please send info. ASAP! Thanks,
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Crap, dude. You probably got water in your intake. You might want to just tow it unless you want to get it flushed. -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You've probably hydrolic locked the engine which means you've sucked water in through your intake. If this is the case, pull out your spark plugs and your water logged air filter. With the spark plugs OUT turn over the engine until all the water shoots out the spark plug holes. Do not try and turn it over with the plugs in or you'll bend your rods. Let it dry out a little then clean off your plugs and put them back in. It should start after this. Or....mabye you'll get lucky and you've just got water into your rotor. Pull off your rotor cap and dry it out. WD-40 works well to get the water out....it's a water repellant. I just went through all this 3 weeks ago when I sucked water in through my air intake....it's time to get a snorkel. Make sure you get your oil changed asap and check for water in your transmission, transfercase and diffs. I hope this helps.[addsig]

...On this same subject of ..."water-proofing" your vehicle ..can someone give me a step-by step on how best to water-proof a vehicle ....[addsig]

Yeah...stay outta 10 foot deep waterholes!
image-missing.png
Actually, I swamped my '97 TJ back in January. I nearly made it through, but my distributor got wet and the engine conked. After getting someone to pull me out, I took a little WD-40 and dried it off and it cranked right up. You do need to change all your fluids (oil, transmision and differential). I would actually change my oil twice just to be sure. Fortunately, I didn't take any water into my intake, but I would say that if you're gonna be going through rivers and streams, you might wanna spend the bucks to get an ARB snorkel. Much cheaper than replacing the engine. BTW-if you wanna see my waterlogged Jeep, it's in the pics section of this website under the "Water Pics" section. I'm the one holding the chain and my old man's the one standing inside trying to stay dry. It was the middle of January and that water was COOOOLLLLDDDDDD
image-missing.png
[addsig]

man I stay clear of deep water when it is cold ... I was wondering about little details ..I have a "snorkel" for the diffs & transfer case & trans ,,, but, what is the best way to water proof the engine dept. .. use an arb or some other device to rais e the intake of course but ,,,what about all the detail places to " silicone " ... where can you do this and where cant you ...? (i don't have a clue where to start)[addsig]

ok, so i' ve got it semi-dry, and changed the fluids. It turns over and has spark, but it won't fire and run. I've try putting a little gas in the cylinders, but it still won't run. Should I let it dry more. I really don't have a place to work on it, since I'm just out here visiting. If anyone can send more advice I would much preciate it, thanks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back