Interior lights, engine light and radio not recieving power

dasgreif

Have checked all fuses, and did not see any that were blown. Checked the ones in the cab under the drivers side, and under the hood on passengers side.

Happened while I was driving and radio just shut off. The engine light and the two side lights that go on when you open the doors are not working either. Even the alarm wont trigger when the doors are opened.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Where is the throttle cable adjustment CJ7

did you test the fuse with a meter? sometimes they blow near the end where you can't see it....

Also Checl the bulbs!

It was merely a coincidence that I lost like 5 different bulbs in like two days, after hours of inspecting all the wiring, I simply put in new bulbs and bingo! Light dawn on marble head!!

Gear Question

Checked all the bulbs, and removed and expected each fuse.

Will go out and pick up an automotive tester to see if I can see if the fuse box inside the car is even recieving power up to that point. The alarm is recieving power, but it looks to be wired on a different power source and like the interior lights just trigger it when they turn on.

This is a 93 wrangler with the power distribution center under the hood. So none of the fusible links I dont think.

Well got the tester, checked all the fuses in both the power distribution center and in the fuse box inside the cab. All of them registered, so power is getting there and leaving, its just not reaching the radio, hood, or interior lights. Also replaced all the bulbs.

Well, I admit it. One downside of having a Jeep...

Well, by the looks of my manual, all those things should be on the same circuit. Do you have an aftermarket radio? Try to replace the fuse (#8 Yelow20amp) and see if it works. If it still does not work, try pulling the radio, and checking to see if there is power at the radio.

If all the fuses check out, start checking out the wiring. I had a problem similar to this in which every thing on the same circuit wasnt working and it just turned out to be a loose positive wire. I got lucky with mine cause it was on aftermarket gauges, which somehow was wired to the starter. So the kid sold me the car at a crazy discount saying it doesnt start up all the time. I tightened the wire onthe volt gauge and she fired right up. (after I completed the sale ofcourse)

Went through the wiring with a tester, sorry for all the questions, but outside of physics I have Zero knowledge of wiring.

This is what is stumping me, I test the positive wire on the wiring harness to the radio, and it registers 12v but yet the radio nor anything else on that circuit is working. Could it be a short or broken circuit on the negative or ground to be causing this? Or could a short inside the radio stop the whole ciruit?

if this is an aftermarket radio, make sure he ground wire is tot he frame or body, nto another wire, you might be grounding through somehting else...

Hi,

Sounds like a bad ground. Often times, the lamps, etc.. are grounded through a harness to a common grounding point on the chassis, instead of grounding at their locations in the vehicle. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Actually, keep in mind too that there are usually TWO hot wires at the radio: one that is switch by ignition and one that is a constant hot from the battery. These are always on SEPARATE circuits, so maybe the +12 volts your reading is from one of the other circuits instead of the one in question.

-Nick :!:

Back