Caliper freezing, over and over...

Joopin

Super Moderator
Okay,
this only happens once in a while but it's a pain in my arse...
I'll be driving my jeep ON road and I start to feel it pull to the right. What causes the pull is the caliper freezing up on the pass. side. This has happend once when my jeep was stock, and twice since I lifted it and put the 36s on it. The last time it happend was right after offroading, it started pulling, I got to my destination, smelled the brakes, looked under the jeep, and saw flames around my rotor. I blew them out when a friend got an extinguisher. I learned from the last time if I let it cool it will eventually open back up. So I put a garden hose on it for 10 min. and everything was fine.

The first time it happend I had the pads and rotor replaced along with the brake lines. Then when I did my soa i put long brake lines on.
Is there any reason for this to keep happening? I was thinking about just putting on new calipers, rotors and pads on both sides, but if there is an upgrade to compinsate for the large tires that would be better. Any ideas?
Joop

Sounds to me like you have a bad caliper is all... Maybe something inside causing it to stick, i'd replace it if it was me.

not only does the caliper piston have to be able to move... but the caliper has to be able to slide back and forth on its mounting bolts/pins.. that is what allows it to center the rotor inside it and provide even pressure on both sides... get yourself a new rotor, and make sure you use the lube for it... it DOES help

Joopin, I just got done putting up with that hell. All it was was bad calipers. My jeep pulled a hard right and barely let me roll forward my brakes were catching so bad.

I let it go so long that my right wheel hub or ball joints are about to snap on me. I need to get whatever it is fixed soon.

So, to save you trouble in the long run, change both calipers as soon as you can.

I had that happen on my YJ. Replacing the calipers did the trick. I think I paid about $15 each for them at Pep Boys. E-Z job and I'd never done it before.

Thanks guys, I was wondering if I should replace both sides, someone once told me that if one side is more worn than the other (rotor or pads) that the braking will be uneven. I guess I will have to check and see how the wear is on everything to decide.
Thanks!

Joop

I have also hear to replace both sides when changing the rotors....I dont know the reasoning behind it. I just remember hearing about it.

Many mechanics will say the same thing so they can get more work out of you. I know I have replaced just one caliper or rotor with no ill effects. The system is designed t be self adjusting, so once you hit the brakes a few times everything will equalize.

and that is the importance of making sure the calipers can slide on their guides... that is how they adjust evenly

I really think you neeed to change both since it has been doing it so long now. Your rotor is not as thick on that side now so, even with a new caliper, it still may pull to a side. Change both. My right rotor is smaller because how bad mine froze up.

I agree that if only one is defective then you don't need to change both. I changed both of mine because they were obviously old (probably originals) and I figured it only made sense to change them both since it was so easy and cheap. changing the brake pads could add about 20 seconds or so to the job on each side!

if the calipers and pads are not the same thickness on each side... it will still be fine... as long as the piston is free and the caliper is free to glide... it will adjust itself

but if the caliper froze enough to start shaving some of the rotor off, he will feel it pull slightly to the side.

right.... if there is friction between the rotor and the caliper, it will pull

This topic comes up alot. I noticed that aftermarket calipers do not have rubber covers over the tension springs on the caliper. I replaced the calipers twice on my jeep and everytime we go to paragon My breaks started acting up. I finaly had jeep service the breaks and the jeep calipers had rubber covers over the springs. Never a problem anymore. I have alot to say about factory replacement parts now. They might cost more but there could be a reason for the extra cost.

Joopin, did you get it fixed and find out the problem? if so, what was it exactly.

Man, all this talk about brakes makes me remember that mine could use a little changing. It's getting pretty hard to stop!

Yeah I did it yesterday. I bought new pads for both sides, a caliper, and a rotor. The pads I had on there were still good on both sides, not much wear. I put new pads on both sides anyways though. I replaced the caliper on the pass side that was freezing, and I also replaced the rotor. The rotor was warped i think, i could hear a squeeking as i drove, on - off - on - off... I'm sure it got warped cause of the intense heat, not to mention the fire. So everything is done, and it works great. I may just bleed the whole system one more time to be safe. I only bled the one caliper brake line.

Back