Battery problems

Beach_Jeep

I need some advice as to where to go next. Two weeks ago my 81 CJ was dead. It would make a vibrating hummm when I turned the key. Long story short, I ended up replacing the starter/alternator/battery and silanoid. I just went to start her up today and its dead again. Any ideas or suggestions as to where to look now? :roll:

you could be experiencing a draw on the batt. when the key is off.... get an amp meter and put it between the ground term. and clamp w/the key off... if its pulling power, start troubleshooting or put a disconnect in (been there w/an old car i had, the disconnect was easier for overnite than trying to find the prob, not that i'm recommending being lazy...)

Hi,

What is the voltge reading from the battery? Is the battery being drained completely or down to a voltge at which the solenoid won't latch (such as less than 9 volts).

Note that a 12 volt battery is fully charged at 14.4 volts, and less than 10-11 volts basically considered drained. Car batteries can and will be damaged if discharged close to 0 volts on a regular basis, so until you fix the problem be sure it is not allowed to drain dead to prevent killing your new battery :shock:

-Nick :!:

Back