4 X 4 system info...

texasjeepguy

I have a 95 Wrangler I6 . I was wondering is somebody could explain how the 4x4 system works on my Jeep. I've gotten stuck several times, while in 4hi , and I have noticed that the power sometimes only goes to one tire, and the other does not even turn at all. Usually the tire that has traction. Is there something wrong with my system, or is this the way it was designed? I'm sure there is a mod that fixes this, but I really have not looked into mods like this . Thanks for your help.-tjg

yes you need lockers.

google is your friend

how old are you

it is working just how it is supposed to... the tire that can spin the easiest will always be the tire that spins... unless you have a locker... many members here have lockers... the stock differential has an open carrier which allows both sides of the axle to spin at different speeds... but if you have a locker, it locks the two shafts together so they can't spin at different speeds.... if one side spins at Xrpm.. so does the other... there are many types of locking differentials... first is the lincoln locker, Bounty Hunter is the man to talk to on this, it is a the cheapest and easiest to understand design... the open differential's inner gears are welded together so that it doesn't allow any differentiating movement... Selectable lockers are usually functional as an open differential until you select for it to engage a locker.. then it will work just as the lincoln locker does.... A full time locker will always be locked, and will apply the same force to both sides at all times... but when there is enough of a difference in speed or torque needed... one side will let go with a "ratcheting" effect... this will happen mostly on dry pavement turns. Then there is a limited slip differential... this has a set of clutches in it, pressed together by springs.... the two axle sides will usually be locked together... but when you turn, or in any situation where one side needs to slip, if the difference in torque can overpower the springs holding the clutches together, it will allow for it to slip, acting somewhat like an open differential

any questions?

When in 4 wheel drive and the tires are spining, there will only be 2 (1 in front and 1 in rear) that actually spin. This is due to the spider gears inside the differential. It is the same as when you are in 2wd and spin the tires, usually only one will spin. It is designed this way so that when you go around a sharp corner, the wheels can spin at different speeds (ex: when you turn to the left, the right tire will rotate more than the left, inside tire).

The only way to fix it is to buy a locker or weld the spider gears.

Hopefully that all made sence...if not, i'll try again

WOW, you all beat me to it, guess I need to type faster!!!!

Also make sure at least one front tire is spinning when in 4wd and that the 4wd light comes on. YJ's are prone to problems with the vacuum controlled front axle disconnect that will prevent the front axle from helping in 4wd. We can easily talk you through the fix should you have any problems with that.

haha.. look at the times in the replies.. it looks like everyone was replying at once.. and minute by minute submitted the replies

Here is a site, called "How stuff works". It is awesome. It has the answers to all newbie questions. It helped me with things that I thought I knew but had all wrong.

First link is to the auto portion of the site. 2nd is a link to your specific questions about the differential and why your tires spin.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

This link really illustrates how the spider gears in your differential turn your inner and outer wheel at different speeds. Locking stops these gears from moving at different rates. Hence the name lockers.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential3.htm

Lastly, this last link describes locking your diff.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential10.htm

LOL, I noticed that too. Kinda funny.

Well, I did some research, and it seems like a pretty straight forward mod. I would assume that the selectable locker would be best for a daily driver, correct?

Hoe do you like your locker Bounty? If you welded the spider gears, that means you have that on all the time. How has this affected your on road driving characteristics? Any other info anybody has will be greatly appreciated. The posts on this thread gave me a great start.-Thanks- TJG

Another hint if you have a limited slip rear, set the e-brake part way, will force the rear to transfer some power to the stuck wheel.... if not, then lockers will work, or better yet, pick your lines better so you don't get into those situations. You'd be amazed how moving 6" to one side or the other can make all the difference inn getting stuck or not.

howstuffworks.com... my favorite informative website

I have a limited slip in my rear... I got that cause I use my YJ as a daily driver and I want the traction on the weekends. I have had it since Dec. and I love it. I never heard of the e-brake thing graewulf was talking about, I just gun it and leave 2 ruts of equal size and depth... it's great. I may get one for my front axle!

Mine's a daily driver with the lincoln lockers, drives great onroad. Tracks very well, and no annoying locking and unlocking like auto lockers (lockright, detroit, etc.).

Selectable is expensive, but if you can afford it a great option. Auto lockers sometimes have side effects like loud bangs from unsuspected locking and chirps etc. I almost went the Lincoln locker way (welding) but decided to try the auto lockers first. I know I can recoop my money on ebay if I hate em. We'll see, so far so good.

Joopin said:
I have a limited slip in my rear... I got that cause I use my YJ as a daily driver and I want the traction on the weekends. I have had it since Dec. and I love it. I never heard of the e-brake thing graewulf was talking about, I just gun it and leave 2 ruts of equal size and depth... it's great. I may get one for my front axle!

try that with a rear wheel hanging in the air, all the power twill go to the tire in the air, the LSD needs some friction from the wheel to cause the power to transfer. Hence using the E-brake

Flat towing a CJ

best place to get a limited slip is to get it already in an axle.. go with a late solid ford 8.8... limited slip with disc brakes

Snitty said:
best place to get a limited slip is to get it already in an axle.. go with a late solid ford 8.8... limited slip with disc brakes

So, to clarify, you are suggesting an axle swap?

yes... an axle swap is actually EASIER than installing a limited slip

Back