Header... to coat or not to coat?

Joopin

Super Moderator
Well an upcoming project for the YJ is a new exhaust. I was going to replace everything but the manifold, but then I looked at it the other day and I noticed a crack in it! I am happy in a way cause I now have an excuse to replace the whole exhaust... but pissed cause it means spending another 200 bucks AT LEAST.

The Header I was looking at is a Headman from Quadratec...

My question is, if I don't get the ceramic coating will I be proned to cracking my new header like the stock one? The extreme heat of the header getting hit with water while wheeling is going to be a test for the header, but I heard the ceramic coating prevents anything from happening... but it's another 200 bucks! Any thoughts? Ideas?

Joop

Rust and deterioration. I have been told that the coating will also act as a insulator which would save your starts if the starter was near a header (which on your's it ain't)

Yeah I have heard of jet hot... I guess I will just have to make a decision if I want to put a coated header on an engine with 203,000 miles on it.

Definitely get the coated header....eh 203,000 miles engine, what are you plans for the engine. Eventual rebuild or replacement?

Well I have entertained both options, either stroke out the 4.0 or put in a V8 and new transmission. The stroker would probably be cheaper.

In my humble oppion headers are more trouble that they are worth joop! Not wanting to be the odd man out but the don't last they are problematic and seem to be a real bear to get them hooked up just right. I have heard so many boo hoo storys about headers on off road rides that a new replace ment manifold and a goo sounding ez breathing exaust would be my choice. Just some food for thought. tug

Buddy of mine with a CJ5 is ridding himself of his headers. they heat up so much on him it melts his sparkplug wires.

Well I would have no problem just buying a stock manifold, but I just don't want it to crack again cause I'm gonna be offroading with it. I have installed headers before and they are a pain in the ass if they are cheap ones.. but from my experiance Hedman makes a great product. I wouldn't have to worry about the wires melting cause the 4.0 wires are on the opposite side as the exhaust manifold.

Back