transmission mount loose/broken?

Sacredgroove

was driving in the yard-stock 84 cj7- and got an awful clunking sound.
looked underneath and noticed one of the bolts that binds the transmission to the skidplate i assume is loosened maybe a 1/2 inch down the threads.
its on skidplate,in middle but closer to drivers side. of course when i tighten the bolt its frozen to the threads and it appears a rather large nut on the inside of the skidplate is turning freely with it. is this a transmission mount? should i just go get a long monkey wrench to get inside the skidplate to that nut to hold it down while i tighten the other?
if mount happens to be broken,does this require taking down the skidplate and keeping transmission/transfer supported to repair?

thanks! Dave

after a little more poking around,it appears its the stabilizer not the mount. just had this transmission put in last summer... :/ seems the bushing for the stabilizer is broken in half. how do i go about dropping the skidplate and supporting the transmission at the same time?

Ordered my Lift Kit.....May need to buy a new doghouse

you can put a wide piece of wood under the oil pan and jack it up... that will hold everything up... i did my stabilizer without removing the skidplate... just a little tougher

thanks Snitty!
now to see if i can find the stabilizer bushing in an auto parts store...
i believe the clunking was from the transmission hitting the skidplate,i can grab the rear driveshaft and wiggle the transmission side to side about an inch.

that would be it then.... if you can't find a bushing that works... go get two bushings for a standard stabilizer link... one above, and one or two below the outrigger and above the skidplate.. use a 1/4" grade FIVE bolt to put through... i had some problems last year... the nut backed off... i heard a nasty noise, sounded like gears grinding... but it was the threads scraping on my plate

Napa had a listing for some of the torque studs and bushings, but not for my YJ. They may have one for a CJ. I had to go to the stealership.

I find it easier to support the transer case rear output when dropping the skidplate.

i kinda just made a bushing out of some bushings i found from other applications... i think i used post style shock bushings for mine if i remember correctly

ordered the bushings from rubicon express for about 10 bucks with shipping. if in the future anyone needs to order these, the universal part number is 1-1201BL for black and 1-1201 for red.
so no problems jacking motor up by oilpan? i hear the can crumple pretty easily...
thanks!

dont' just put the jack under it and go away.... be sure to get a good 2x8 or 2x10 to distribute the weight... but again... i didn't need to lift it at all to get mine done

well,i lucked out and met a neighbor ( i just moved out to the country last month) who happens to own a transmission shop 1/2 mile up the road :)
we put it on the lift,used a nice transmission jack,removed the skidplate,grabbed the parts from the dealer and threw it in. transmission mount was flattened,and stabilizer was half gone. one of the bolts was completely out,but got it back right in an hour or so. thanks for your help!

Back