exhaust cut out on a YJ

Jeepster05

Last winter my exhaust pipe snapped at the flange near the manifold and I loved the way it sounded. Unfortunately I didn't have headers and it was freezing cold so I had to repair it. Now that it's summer I want to put on a cut-out to get that good ol grunt back. I found one from Mr. Gasket that I might buy if they have the right size. My question is, will I be doing any harm to my jeep with this mod? Are there any advantages to doing this?

If you make the cut out before the O2 sensor, your jeep will run badly.

My O2 sensor broke off about a year ago when wheelin' (was stock at the time) I still havn't done anything to it and it runs fine. You still shouldn't put the cut out up that far though, I would say right before the cat... some may argue about loosing backpressure, but in my experiance with these that does not come into play. I have yet to do this mod on a jeep though, I will be doing it on mine soon though, when I start putting in a new exhaust. As for advantages, if you look in the Summit Racing catalog, there is a little * next to the cut outs saying "for offroad or racing purposes only" That right there got me to buy them for my old mustang, coolest thing I ever did. However I did get pulled over alot.

Back