Anyone ever shipped a transmission?? Need advice

Sherriff

Hi, I am shipping a transmission for a guy from Niagara Falls to Miami. Any ideas on the best way to pack this beast up? It is a T-176 with the T-case still attached and weighs a ton. I dont want the shifters to get damaged plus I want to be able to move the thing easily. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sherriff

If I where you I would call a couple of trucking co.s not ups of fed ex they will break your wallet. Call like CCX (conway central express) Yellow,Roadway, if you do go this route make sure you crate it up very well and mark which side up. Hope this helped a little bit good luck.

I shipped an AX5. It was about 80lbs. I used a box that a 21 monitor came in. I just made sure to drain it overnight and filled the box with packing peanuts. It made it to california from missouri in one piece.

Go with the freight truck suggestion. UPS or FedEx will charge you a lot, and it may get damaged. Get yourself a half pallet. If you cannot find a half pallet, find yourself a full pallet, and secure it on there. I used some straps from walmart, but I'm sure there are better ways. If you want, you can get some brown craft paper, and cover the transmission. SAIA was really easy to work with. Good luck.-al

Crate it as ship with these guys http://www.forwardair.com/ as long as there is a location near your shipping and delivery point it will be a LOT cheaper. I was going to get a small military trailer shipped from west texas to KC KS, they would have shipped for $150.00 from Dallas or El Paso. But the trailer was 3 hours from both places. That is the only draw back you have to drop off and pick up at one of their centers. I ended up spending 24.5 hrs straight in my jeep to go get the trailer, the ironic part was seeing all the forward air trucks there and back.

You pretty much have to dock ship them, which means you take it to the truck terminal then the recipient picks it up at the truck terminal. Pick a trucking company and call them. They are easy to work with and most of them will have spare pallets and a banding machine right there at the dock. You need to drain both first and probably lay the shifters back where they won't hang up on something.
The Dana 300 weighs right at 100 pounds and the T176 should be less since it is aluminum. Figure 200 pounds for pallet and all.
Call Roadway, Conway, Yellow, AAA Cooper, or another reputable company. It's really not as hard as it sounds. They will help you out with all the details.

Back