Floor Board protection

Floorboards meaning the inside of the tub? I did the whole inside of my jeep. Looks nice, holds up well, easy clean up... one thing though, I would put it on thicker in spots where it will be used the most... drivers side floor, pass. floor etc.

i used the gallon kit you can buy at autozone, comes with the brushes etc...

i did my tub, two coats, had a lil extra when finished so i did things like the tailgate etc...

if you are neat and dont waste any, you should easily be able to do it with one gallon.

I still have some left from the gallon kit... I should have put a couple more coats.

do either of you have close up pics of it? always wondered what the texture would look like after it dried

The Durabak stuff seems to be more durable than the Herculiner, but It doesn't look as good in my opinion.
Like Joopin said, put it on thick in high wear areas. It's more about looks than anything, the protection provided by these kits is minimal. You have to treat it like paint for it to last, it's not a replacement for a $350-$500 sprayed in liner that gets applied up to a 1/4" thick, so don't expect that.

Here ya go...

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

http://groups.msn.com/SickAutos/historyofmy91wrangler.msnw?albumlist=2

For you guys that have done that, how long was your jeep outta commission? including prep and time for it to cure. Id like to do it this summer, but i need to know how long ill be without a drivable jeep.

Thanks!!

Nathan

I did one of mine over a weekend with Durabak. I applied it on a Friday and put it back together on Sunday. The Jeep wasn't mobile at the time, so I wasn't in a hurry. A buddy of mine did his with Herculiner and put it back together that night, but let it sit the whole next day before driving it.

I took everything off of the floor of my yj, preped the metal and shot brown primer on all of the holes I didn't want sprayed shut so the installer would know. Put the drivers seat back in with 2 bolts and drove it to the Rhino liner shop. They did it for $300 with a lifetime guarantee. I got the Jeep back the next day. Nice soft plastic finish and great rust protection. I had started with a do it yourself kit but by the time i had all the materials it was close to $150! Do that twice in the lifetime of your Jeep and kick yourself, hard.

If money is not the issue then the Rhino is by far the best way to go. There is no substitute for the spray ins.
The best roll-on I have found is the brand made by Bondo. I forget the name but you can get it at Advance Auto. It's $60 for a gallon. It comes with a gallon can of the material (not quite full) and then a quart of hardener. You mix them together in the can and then stir till your arm is tired. Get one of those blue plastic loop rollerpads at Lowes and cut it in half for a smaller roller. It leaves a good texture and you don't have to worry about lint. You can add sand to the mix for extra grit if you like. The Bondo kind doesn't dry with the rubbery feel that the others have but it is bar none the toughest I have seen. One of my so called friends threw a 14 bolt drum brake back there and it didn't even scratch it.
I had the Herculiner before and wasn't happy with it. It looked good at first, but peeled and scratched easily.

Back