TJ Stalling/Idle problems...

indiemo

so this morning i take out my TJ and the check guages light comes on and the voltage meter is pegged to the right. I stop, restart and everything seems fine. so i come home and about an hour later i try to restart it. well, it cranks and cranks but won't turn over. so i replaced the coil figuring that was it since i just did the plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor a little bit ago. still won't turn over. so i figure out if I give it some gas while it's starting (bear in mind it's fuel injected) it'll eventually turn over. but as soon as i let off the gas it stalls out. won't idle at all. so what do you guys think? i was thinking electrical with the gauge thing this morning but now I'm thinking fuel pump. has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions? help!

check all your vacuum lines, i got my yj back from the dealership after getting it worked on and i drove down the road and then let the clutch out and let off the gas and coasted and it cut off, it was just a vacuum line and it was easily fixed

indiemo said:
still won't turn over. so i figure out if I give it some gas while it's starting (bear in mind it's fuel injected) it'll eventually turn over. but as soon as i let off the gas it stalls out. won't idle at all.
I don't understand, how's it stall out and not idle when you began with a no-start issue?

commanche bed chopping

Hi,

Please give more info... Are you saying it dies IMMEDIATELY after releasing the accelerator pedal while you are still coasting to a stop OR do you mean it continues to run but dies once the engine falls below a certain RPM (such as say 800?)

If it dies immediately, I'd suspect an electrical problem such as a Throttle Position Sensor which is badly malfunctioning... If it dies once the engine falls below a certain RPM, it could be a number of things, if it seems electrical (instant stall), maybe the Crankshaft Position Sensor, if it sputters then dies, could be vacuum leak, fuel issue, etc.... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

I don't understand, how's it stall out and not idle when you began with a no-start issue?
it did eventually start, but to get it to start I had to give it some accelerator. once it starts though, it doesn't remain running. it doesn't just die, once it drops down below 800 or so it sputters to a stop. if I give it gas and keep it around 1000 RPM it runs fine. this morning it ran fine for about 5 minutes but then it started to sputter and die. if it's a vacuum leak, where should I be looking for vacuum hoses as all they did at the shop is replace the front ujoints (at the knuckles) and drain and refill my diffs.

i also put some dry gas in it this morning just to make sure i didn't get a bad tank of gas or something.

I don't think a bad fuel pump will trigger a code. Will it?
Listen for the fuel pump when you turn the switch on. Then if necessary close your mouth and cover your eyes and crack open the fuel line to see if it is getting any pressure If so then move on to checking spark and vacuum.

I seem to have gotten the problem fixed. I got a tip from another Jeep forum (sorry for the disloyalty :oops: ) Anyway, there was a thread where I guy was having a similar problem with his XJ shortly after a dead battery. I guess a mechanic buddy of his told him that the computer might have lost some info with the dead battery and to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and then reconnect and let it idle for a couple minutes so that the computer could relearn all of the right sensor settings. Since I had a dead battery last week (left the lights on) and I had that voltage spike on Friday I gave it a shot last night and she's running like a top today. I'm glad that's all it took. I really couldn't afford a new fuel pump install.

Pray for me

had d simmilar prob to mine but some what diffierent..how many miles is on your tj unless u got more than 100.000 miles your fuel pump shouldnt fail it supose to last that long since its in d gas tank and d pump is $300.... try to clean your throttle body next if it happen again.. take off your air cleaner and open up your butterflys on the throtle wide open spray d trotle body cleaner in take a rag and wipe all d carbon debree off. do it sevarel times and try to start it it will take a min but when fierd huge diffierce. hope this helps :lol:

Back