Mustang Engine Swap?

chinard

Howdy, peeps...

Been a while since i've been on.

I recently had a donor engine fall into my lap and i wanted to ask ppl here how viable a swap it would be.

Fuel injected 5.0 litre 302 from a '89 mustang.
Headers, manifolds, exaust, X and Y pipes, and assorted bits and pieces. (should have a more complete list by next week)
The donor recently upgraded to a 340, and i know this engine is in prime shape.

Anyways, they're letting me have it for next to nothing, so i would like to get an idea of what all i'd need to look at if thinking about shoe-horning it into my Existing CJ-7 (AMC258, 4 speed, dana300)

I pretty much know that the transmission will have to be replaced with something stronger. Looking for recommendations on that too.

I was originally looking at swapping in another engine this year anyways, like a 350 or even a 4.0litre just to get something more reliable and more powerful. I'm just trying to figure out if i should persue this, or go with my original plans.

Man, that mustang motor is going to sound sweet in a Jeep. Do it man. I don't know much about the transmission/ t case situation, but I know it has been done many times before.

'93 YJ U Joints

If you have a T-176 4speed, I wouldn't change it. It has the Ford "butterfly" bolt pattern on the front of the transmission where it bolts to the bellhousing. Because of this, you can use your transmission with a Ford bellhousing so it will bolt to your Ford engine. I've never done it so I'm not completely sure what parts you need, but I know it can be done. I can't remember if the SR-4, T4, or T5 will bolt to that bellhousing, but if you have one of those transmissions you will want to swap it out anyway. The Ford engines are alot smaller than the other common V8s and they are pretty easy to swap into stuff. I don't think you'll be able to use the Mustang oilpan because of front axle clearance issues.
The short stroke Ford smallblocks have never been known as torque monsters(that's probably why he swapped to a 347ci stroker) so a manual transmission and numerically higher axle gearing are good compliments to one of those engines.

Junkpile said:
If you have a T-176 4speed, I wouldn't change it. It has the Ford "butterfly" bolt pattern on the front of the transmission where it bolts to the bellhousing. Because of this, you can use your transmission with a Ford bellhousing so it will bolt to your Ford engine. I've never done it so I'm not completely sure what parts you need, but I know it can be done. I can't remember if the SR-4, T4, or T5 will bolt to that bellhousing, but if you have one of those transmissions you will want to swap it out anyway.

Ok, you have my attention about the T-176. Now for the stupid question.
How do i tell which gearbox i have?

The Ford engines are alot smaller than the other common V8s and they are pretty easy to swap into stuff. I don't think you'll be able to use the Mustang oilpan because of front axle clearance issues.
The short stroke Ford smallblocks have never been known as torque monsters(that's probably why he swapped to a 347ci stroker) so a manual transmission and numerically higher axle gearing are good compliments to one of those engines.

Yeah, thats pretty much the reason she swapped the engine..
Having the 302 should be just the thing i need for power, reliability, and the ability to scare the neighbours.

the ford 302 is an awesome motor... and i'm not really a ford man... lots you can do with them, and parts are everywhere... the aftermarket selection for them is amazing... the fuel injection will not be the easiest thing to work with.. but if you can get it to work, you'll be happy with it.. if not... get another manifold and go carb

y'gotta love the sound of a ford 302

Yeah, those engines are great. Correct me if I am wrong but they dont use those in the Mustang anymore do they?

The new mustangs run a 4.6 now, but if you could get your hands on a 2004 cobra mustang it has a supercharged 4.6 pushing a lot more ponies. It has been a while so I cant remember if it is around 350 or 400 but it is a lot more than the others, and pretty close to the Corvette with a with a much lighter vehicle.

Someone told me the T176 has a strait shifter (meaning it bends clost to the bottom then is strait. If you look at it it looks pretty smooth and rounded. the SR4 is more square and has a bunch of things sticking out of it. I know my description is vaige but when you look it will make sense.

i read somewhere that they are bringing the 5.0 back.. with will just be an overbored 4.6

Ford engines suck. All of them. I dig the 351 Cleveland and the BB cammers and all, but they still suck in one way or another. Look at what avyoung said:

2004 cobra mustang it has a supercharged 4.6 pushing a lot more ponies. It has been a while so I cant remember if it is around 350 or 400 but it is a lot more than the others, and pretty close to the Corvette

See, there is no supercharger under the hood of the Corvette, and that engine can be configured to produce 500hp without even getting wild. The Ford mills got some undeserved "props" during the late eighties and early nineties when the 5.0 Mustang was terrorizing the streets. That was a case of a decent engine being placed between the fenders of a great car. The roller 5.0s were only making 215 and 225hp, but felt like 300 in that car.

i'll have to agree with JP here... the cobras were competing with vettes and Fbodies recently... and were JUST over the power ratings of the Fbodies... and the GMs were naturally aspirated... sure, if they put a blower on them, they'd dominate... not that they don't in the first place... the LS1 and LS6 are AMAZING motors.... the LT1 only had one flaw, optispark

Back