03 check engine light?

exjay33

Anyone else have an 03 have trouble with this pain in the *** light ? It is always something with the emmisions , just mine or common problem? Soon going to have a piece of tape on it or bulb is going to break !

Its not just yours most newer cars do it becuase of all the things the computer is monitoring. It could be as simple as your gas cap being loose. You also can't put gas in it with the engine running or it will do that too for the same reason. You need to find out what it is. You can go to most chain autoparts store Like Autozone and have them check it for free. They can give you an idea what it is. If it is emmisions you should still be under emmisions warranty so the dealer should fix it for free. Since you like in PA you can't forget about emmisions even if you don't need it in your county yet you probably will soon. I have had emmisions for several years now its no fun.

You mean the malfunction light or the check engine ligh? The malfuction light comes on alot in mine, due to gas caps left off or all sorts of minor things. Read your manual dude! Lights uysually mean something, very rarely do they not in a new vehicle and if so, take it to the shop and have it looked at. Mine is an 03 too, and the light has been on four times. Two were not figured out by the codes and the light went off once on its own. Two times was the gas cap left off and that goes off on its own too after ya put it back on. lol Hey, I have no shame.

Lady

I, too, have an '03 and have had the "malfunction light" come on 3 times now. first time was because I was an idiot and didn't secure ("click") my gas cap. other 2 times were when my Jeep did its spittin' and sputterin' thing (still haven't figured out why). anyway, if you turn your key on and off (start postition) 3 times and then leave it on, some codes will appear on your odometer (mine told me that number 3 cylinder was missing, and I though "no s#*t, tell me something I don't know!). the manual says it'll go off sometime during the next 40 starts, or some such s#*t, and mine did eventually go off (and she returned to running as she should!). I'm thinking that if she's running fine, and your gas cap's snug (clicked in), give it several start cycles to see if it goes off and, if not, guess you gotta take her in to the dealer. Sorry!

my 03 seams to only pop up the Check engine light when my thermostat goes bad. Unfortunently, you can't read it on the codes, bit it is an easy spot. Watch your Temp gauge and see it it is running lower than 210 that will do it too. also, the way I hgave to check my codes is to hold down the Trip button and turn the key to run (not start)

Back