wondering, lots of axle questions!

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
OK I have a bunch of questions my standard American 4x4 catalog could not answer.

1. what model of jeep (if ever) came with 6 lug axle shafts and D44's front and rear? (I was thinking M715 but it had 5/4 ton rear axles.

If they are in fact factory 6 lug D44, will chevy rims fit (I have a set hanging around)

In order to put a D 44 into a yj, will the pinion yoke from a D35 fit the D44 or will I need to get a new one, and if so, did the D44 come with the 1330 U joint with the large caps?

Will the pinion yoke from a 97+ D44 fit?

Will the axle shafts from the rubicon fit any D44 (I know that they are "fakeD44" term used loosely)

How about steering, how wants to do it for me!!??

Here is the deal, I am trading a set of 1/2 doors, my grille guard with a set of hella 500's. set of factory rims with new tires and my old D30/35 set up for a set of D44's front and rear.

all I know Is that they are 6 lug. I am begining to think the front is out of a full size 73-87 chevy, but I am perplexed about the rear. maybe a dakota? or a old Nissan?

The guy has no clue as to where they are from, it is a junk yard.

Help!

Some SJ's (Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer) came with a front and rear D44, all were 6 lug. Don't know anything about the Chevy or Ford stuff.

I'll soon be installing a SJ D44 front axle and an Isuzu Rodeo D44 rear axle, both are 6x5.5" lug pattern.

I need help quick, have starter all apart

Wagoneers did have them front and rear. Some had offset rears for the Q-trac. Make sure you don't get one of those. The older Chevy's had front D44's but not rear. Make sure the WMS to WMS is the correct length for what you are doing.
Most D44's have a 1310 yoke. As far as splines go, I can't really tel you. I think they are all the same. There is really no need to run a 1330 pr 1350 yoke if you have the prper setup a 1310 will be fine. The only time you see one break is if they have been neglected or the driveshaft angle is extremely bad.
Make sure that they are matching gear ratios or you will have to adress that before the install. Take some sockets wiht you and pull the covers for an inpsection. The ring gear will have set of numbers on it which indicate the tooth count. Divie the higher by the lower to get the ratio.

Rusty's Off Road Exhaust System

1. The 74-79 Wagoneers/Cherokees and most 1/2ton J-trucks. Most 76-79 had an offset rear to match the Quadratrac Tcase. The SJ line went to the AMC M20 rear in 1980 and retained the D44 front, but the differential was moved to the drivers side. The M715s had a D70 rear/D60 front.

2. I've used Chevy rims on an SJ, so probably.

3. The pinion yoke doesn't swap but they use 1310s.

4. Same pinion spline count.....it should.

5. The shafts from the rubicon are longer than the shafts in an SJ(except widetrack axles like the Cherokee Chiefs used), so no. There are no "fake" D44s. The axle model is determined by the center section, not the tubes.

6. Figure out your own damn steering. :p J/K....I don't know, I can't even remember right now what the steering setup on a YJ is exactly. Isn't it alot like the SJ setup as far as linkage goes?

It sounds like your getting the bad deal here. Since he has no idea where those axles are from or anything else about them, he's going to have a hard time selling them....except to people like us. Your axles on the other hand are "marketable". The hard half doors are worth more than those axles. They have to be mis-matched, or the front diff is on the wrong side for your Jeep. The post-1979 SJs are the only ones that had a front axle that would work with your drivers side drop Tcase, and those models came with AMC M20 rears.

The Chevy front would be the only other possibility I think. They were only used until around 79, then they switched from the Dana front to the Corporate 10 Bolt. I don't know of ANY D44 rears that would be that wide and have 6 lugs, so they are probably Jeep.

I'll be using the steering linkage that's on the SJ D44, same as the YJ except the tierods go through the steering arm from the top instead of the bottom.

There are SJ D44 rears out there, but they are rare. The offset D44 and HDAMC20 are the most common. The HDAMC 20 would not be a bad axle for a swap, already has the 1piece axleshafts that it's CJ brother doesn't have.

Thanks all heres the deal, The axles are out of a SJ, year and model, not sure. They are infact 6 lug, so my old chevy rims will fit. I was talking with the seller and I think my job is going to be made a lot easier, the axles are out of a YJ that is being parted out cause of bad motor (which was a 4cyl) and bad transmission (daily driver/weekend warrior). so... I am going to look over all the mounts and perches, probably clear the axle tubes and weld new one's on, I am more confident about my welding skills than a guy I never met.
I am also gonning to rebuild them cause I am going to be installing some 37's on these axles. I know It is a bit much but I don't care.
The seller says that they have Moser axles he can see the M on the rear hub, and according to the seller, the front alxes have a 297X stamped on them.
Hell ya! those are alloy shafts in there! (I think)
also Warn Economy hubs, But I have a set of premium hubs on my Blazer's D44 front, So I will swap them over too.

Gears ratios match, he is just not sure what the ratio is. (his guess was 4:88 but could be lower.

Now all I need is some 2" lift springs!!

37's on a D44, hmmmmm. It's a toss up depending on how you ride.
I got crazy with a set of 38" TSL SX's and the 44's didn't last two trail rides. In two rides I bent the rear housing, broke two front shafts and one rear shaft.
Are you talking a 37" Bogger, Krawler or what? The Bogger will make short work of it. I think you would be better with a 36" TSL or an Irok.

It's Super Swamper Breaker, not bogger ;)

Won't be a bad setup of you're easy on the skinny pedal, or are like me and have a very limited supply of HP ;)

I am a crawler, Not a gasser. I perfer the slow method of hitting obsticles unlike other people who floor it to get over things (cough, cough! Laura cough, cough!) I need a set of 2" lift springs now. I decided since I am gonna completely clean the axle tubes, I am gonna do a spring over with them on a 2" spring, that along with tj flares and a 2" body lift should be more than enought for 37's to stuff. Right now, with 33's and tj flares, 4" sring under lift, and 3/4 shackles, I still get some rubbing at full flex.

Oh I will also need factory height shackles.

One more question, where on the knuckle is the tie rod connected to Top or bottom. Should I look into a Hi-steering set up?

Oh ya the tires I plan on running will be 37" goodyear MTr's on 15" rims

But If I can find any thing else use locally, I will go with that! might consider 35's. This is all going to be my winter project!

Back