CJ-7, I need some advice...

Im looking to puschase a 84'-87' CJ-7. This will be my first car, and I dont want to get something thats going to be a money pit. I live in BC, Canada, so local cars shouldnt be too rusty. What are some of the things that I should be cautious of when buying a used CJ7? what is the general feeling about Fiberglass bodies on Jeeps? what are the pros and cons of Fibreglass? what should I avoid? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all,

dallas_laporta@nscu.ca

Fiberglass may have weight savings and zero rust, but steel can be straightened a lot easier, like when you're off road. The 'glass will crack / break with an impact. Also severe temperature changes may cause the paint finish and/or gel coat to crack. I like fiberglass, just not on my Jeep.

fiberglass jeeps are like kit-cars, if you cant have the real thing, fake like your somebody.........

Dallas,

Yes I would agree with the others. I would be wary of Fibreglass bodies.

Not long ago, I saw a Jeep parts ad in a 4X magazine. They had a HUMMER body kit for CJ5/CJ7, fibreglass or course.

I went to the website and the description talked about the 'PLYWOOD MOUNTING BRACKETS'

Say What ?!?!?!? PLYWOOD ? Not on my jeep.

I heard someone once say that alot of fibreglass bodies are fibreglass over plywood.

So much for that HUMMER body idea

make sure you get a good transmission - be a bit scared of t-4 or t-5, both light duty transmissions. see if the person you are buying from has service records, w/ good service the 258 has been known to run 200k miles. cj's take a lot of money and eat gas, but shi*, its a Jeep!!!!

Back