paint?

TwistedCU

The hood on the YJ had bad surface rust. I sanded, primed, and shot a little "olive drab green" on it. Then I roughed up the front sections and sprayed them with the color just to get an idea how it would look. I'm thinking of doing the Jeep in flat OD. I have to paint it anyways and it's going to be a dedicated trail rig so a nice bling bling paint job is out of the question. I figure I canm rattle can scratches as needed.

What do you folks think? Olive Drab?

Anybody know where I can get a thick epoxy-type bullet proof type paint (same color) that I can roll on or should I just stick with the rattle can idea???

By the way, the chrome is all going to go

smokeysig2-3.jpg

smokeysig3-3.jpg

Brown/black. Your Yj can be my Cj's brother. Best part is, you can just paint all that chrome stuff black. And touching up is easy.

xj with 33s

I wouldn't recomend rolling anything on. You can get the paint extremely even with a spray can, while it's not so easy with a roller. I personally like the look of the flat OD, but that's just my opinion.

With the crome, simply sand it down, then hit it with some paint!!

Rattle Can Fan #1 here. A nice fine paint job is for a family car. OD or Camo all the way. Never worry about the scratchs and dings again. tug

Thinking I might leave the one black stripe under the doors that has "Laredo" in it. - maybe

[edit]
Oh yeah, I'd love to do camo pattern but honestly I am no artist. Matter of fact it's all I can do to not screw up ultra flat green :lol:

yeah once my paint is bad i'm going OD. infact, i hope it gets bad soon..somebody should come over and pour OD on my hood to give me a reason to do it

Twisted,

You know I wouldn't lie to you... go with the rattle can OD. Rattle can is in surplus and it's easy to use. If you are in another state and need to paint, you can go to any hardware or Lowe's and get a can of it. Plus, it'll look sweet with that spice softtop. Definitely leave the black LAREDO. That will be a nice touch. Send us final pics.

Corey

Rattle can is the way to go for a quick, cheap paint job... I'm in the process of going with the ultra flat Khaki (out of the camo paints) on mine right now. I wasn't real crazy about the spray from the rattle can, so I bought a different brand with a "wide spray" nozzle and put it on the color I'm using, works much better and gives a little more even spray....

LGR said:
yeah once my paint is bad i'm going OD. infact, i hope it gets bad soon..somebody should come over and pour OD on my hood to give me a reason to do it
I don't mind a little road trip to New Jersey! hint hint

Use the Krylon camo works spray paint and swap on a nozzle from a can of carb and choke cleaner. You can lay some paint with the nozzle swap and it will not clog. Shake the cans of Green really well before using, because I have seen some that weren't and it left lighter areas in the paint job.
My vote is for OD Green with black frame, bumpers and headlight rings. Do the interior with the Bondo brand liner from Advance Auto. It will look good.

Krylon Camo is what Im using. I'm all for the nozzle swap, cuz the one that comes on them leaves a lot to be desired. as for what will be black: the one stripe w/LAREDO, the frame, bumpers, wipers, side step inlays and mirrors will be about it - everything else goes OD green. I'll probably just cut the front bumper narrower and not sure what I wanna do about the back one yet (maybe Bounty's "cheap trick"). Maybe something with tow points will be good.

Redrooster - How's that price on Bondo liner? I was eyeballing the herculiner at autozone yesterday, but decided to wait on that till the rest is done.

Hi-C - I originally wanted a black top, but I think the one on it stays and will look good. It's a bestop "sunrider" and in decent shape.

Stacker 46 - I knocked the idea of the khaki around, but my son wouldn't have it.

Thanks for all the input folks...

Twisted

Just wanted to get my yay in here. lol I like the OD look you put on it, keep it! Your really enjoying that new jeep aren't you?

Lady

Back