CB suggestions.

mattito

Starter Removal

I installed my CB and antenna today but how do I know if it works? I changed channels for a while but only heard static. At one point I heard voices but couldnt make out what they are saying. I turned the sqeulch knob until the static went away but then I didnt here anything after that.

Do I just have to wait until I find someone else with a CB? Are some channels busier than others? I want to try to play with it on my way to work. Should I just keep changin channels?

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Matt

:D

TFI Ignition Upgrade

SWR meter to check your signal stregnth. make sure your antenna has a GOOD ground as well as the CB itself. Might be as easy as adding or removing some extra cable, make sure your cable doesn't have any sharp bends, stay away from 90 degree bends and extra cable should not be coiled up in a circle. I remeber I had the same issue and the people here cleared it right up and got down to the problem, mine was a bad ground.

where are you located?

The best thing to do is as LGR suggested and use a SWR meter. However, if you just want to see if it works, turn to channel 19. Most truck drivers in most areas use 19 as their "Home" channel and should get a generous amount of traffic if you are anywhere near a highway system.

LGR said:
SWR meter to check your signal stregnth. make sure your antenna has a GOOD ground as well as the CB itself. Might be as easy as adding or removing some extra cable, make sure your cable doesn't have any sharp bends, stay away from 90 degree bends and extra cable should not be coiled up in a circle. I remeber I had the same issue and the people here cleared it right up and got down to the problem, mine was a bad ground.

where are you located?

I'm in my office right now....why do you ask? JK. I'm in Cumberland RI. My apartment is 100 yards from the interstate. I'll check out Ch. 19 in the morn. Thanks

What do you mean by grounding the antenna? I bolted it to the bumper but didnt see any instructions on grounding it. Um.. didnt really "read" the instructions either.

Wondering if you was near by I we could test it with mine. Bolting it to the bumper should be alright so long as its good metal on metal contact, scrape away some of the paint if needed. You could always add a jumper ground to the frame for a good connection.

go to the nearest CB shop or Truck Stop and ask the techie to tezt it out. You will make a new pal and get the thing tweeked for a few bucks. Tug

If you have the weather channels on your cb, you can try those to see if you receive anything.

Yea, I have this problem too. I can get voices in on some channels but they can't really hear me. Only one time did we get through while testing. I can get the weather stations real good though.

::Laugh:: BUT, I have my wire coiled in a circle like the one post up there said not too. I also chose to not permemenently mount my antenna (firestick) because there were predrilled holes in the frame body that perfectly fit the antenna. It's not really touching metal though, its just sticking through metal. Maybe I should put a jumper on it to improve signal? My antenna has a tunable tip and its four feet so it should be nuff to work it well I think.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Heather

EZ-locker or Lock-Right

Mattito~ Do you know of anyplace to wheel in RI, I go to URI and I've been trying to find a place.

Back