Part time 4 x 4 light

canadianjeeper

I had a rough time getting out of a sticky situation... ended up replacing my front U-joints. After the repair, the Part time 4 x 4 light doesn't come on, but The 4x4 does engage.

I have checked the connection on the xfer case and transmission..??

Any thoughts
image-missing.png
[addsig]

check to see if the light behind the dash that lights up the 4x4 is burned out. This light went bad on my wrangler one time, I replaced it and everything has been fine.

[addsig]

i dont know what year you have but on my 91 there is a vacume hose that goes to you front diferental, that controls your shift motor, if that line is loose or bad it wont engage your front axle plus it wont turn you light on that tells you are in 4x4

hope this helps

marc[addsig]

I have just the opposite problem - my 90 YJ's 4x4 light won't go off, even though I know it isn't in 4WD. Weird thing is that this problem mysteriously developed during the night, while the Jeep was parked in the driveway. My mechanic said, "Live with it or pay me for several hours (at $72 per) to see if I can trace it". I've decided to live with it. Maybe this is not an uncommon glitch? [addsig]

Billgin- I had the same problem with my 89 YJ, the 4X4 light wouldn't go off, but I would be in 2wd. I haven't figured out why it does it but it has gotten better, now it takes a few minutes for the light to go off. I do know that if you pull off one of the plug ins on the axle up front the light goes off. I figure what ever releases the vacum is just not functioning properly.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i had to deal with something like that 2 weeks ago: when i put it in 4wd no light would come on, the gearing would change so it felt like it was in 4wd but only the rear tires would spin. i thought it was a vacuum hose-but it was fine, so i took it to the shop and found out that some gears had jammed up -due to not completely stopping when putting it in 4wd..

so take your Jeep to a slick hill and see if the front tires do anything in 4wd-if not-might have same problem i did[addsig]

well, you call it the part time 4wd light like it's labeled on TJs...

I'd pull the dash and look at the bulb, you're 4wd system isn't as complicated (no vacumn shifter on the front) then a YJ...

for you YJ guys who's light wont go off, try going about 10 feet in reverse and that should turn it off everytime.

The NP231 t-case (found on all Wranglers) is good for shift-on-the-fly for up to 55mph so about gears getting stuck is just bull...[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> The NP231 t-case (found on all Wranglers) is good for shift-on-the-fly for up to 55mph so about gears getting stuck is just bull...

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

-well BobJ- whether you say its bull or not, the gears were jammed. The mechanic said it was probably from not stopping all the way when shifting into 4wd-who knows [addsig]

Back