Home Stretch!

GreenReaper93

Hey everyone! Over the weekend I installed my RC 3" lift (finally) and have it street drivable. My only issue at the moment is the pitman arm. Does anyone have a good way to pop the nut loose on the steering shaft? I tried my best to sling it off, but I'm just too friggin' scrawny :) Also, once the nuts removed what's the best way to get the stock pitman arm off without breaking the puller? It's a loaner.... Thanks! :wink:

Take in for the allignment and ask the folks there to change out the pittman arm and reallign the steering wheel all at the same time. I think my local reallignment shop charged me 20 bucks to swap out the pitman arm and recenter the sterring wheel over the price of the front end allignment cost. Not a bad deal for the work imvolved. If you feel the need to do it your self remember heat is your friend Just dont get it to hot and burn up the seals in you steering box. tug

I recommend the hammer (BFH) and puller method. Tighten the puller, hit with the BFH, repeat. It will come off using this method. When striking with the BFH, the pitman arm has a sweet spot that's where the pitman arm is around the steering shaft, and a 45* angle to the shaft.

If its a good pulled it wont bend. I have bought numerous pulled from harbor freight and have bent them pulling the pitman arm.

Some Jeep sales figures and a pretty cool picture.

my pitman arm was a pain, and i only had the jeep for 3000 miles before i tried to pull it off, thinking the bolts would be not all nasty cause the jeep was new, heat no work, pitman arm puller snapped during the attempt to pull it that way, I using a angle grinder and put a small slit in the side of it and used a pickle fork. Sure from start to finish to get it off took 2 hours. Have the pros do it like tug said. best bet.

If you figure a way to cut the sucker off that would be cool your never going to use it again any way but I know not how to do this. tug

4.0 vs. 4.2

Put the same kit on and had the same problem. Guy down the street with a huge impact gun and 20.00 solved the problem. Beats breaking loaner tools.

My jeep was 14 years old when I finally got a lift. Impact took the nut off and the big hammer took the arm off. Bounty is right... there's a sweet spot. Patience and lots'o'hammer.

Corey

It's possible to cut them off as a last resort, using an angle grinder with a cutoff blade. Cut into the arm around the steering shaft, parallel with the steering shaft, being careful not to cut into the splines of the shaft. It's okay if the cut doesn't go all the way through, you can pop it the rest of the way with a cold chisel, and make a second cut if need. One cut should releive the resistance allowing the arm to come off.

I did everything on my suspension myself - except the pitman arm. Had a local shop do it, they broke one puller, but the second got it done. Money well spent in my book, they did the alignment too.

I may try the next one myself though, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Back