Axle Question

Matmadus

I have a 1994 Jeep YJ with a 4.0L; it's my daily driver so taking it off the road for a couple months to work on it tends to be difficult. I would like to fix it up. Lift it, paint it and work on a complete job on it. But if I'm going to do it I would like to do it once and right. So I would like to upgrade the axles to Dana 44 or higher to keep from running in to problem with the stock Dana 35 seeing I was to get 35's under it. Do you have any good ideas of good used axles that would fix with out too much machine work or would it be better to pick up new ones? Also is the full-traction Bolt-On Spring Over worth the money for a 7.5" lift if i stay with the stock axles? Just a couple questions I guess.

Thanks

Matt

Start lookin at your local junkyard for some jeeps. I got my D44 out of an 89 cherokee sport. It has the same lug pattern and WMS to WMS as the wranglers. I still have the stock D30 in the front but havn't ran into any problems yet. The XJs that have those D44s are somewhere around early 80s to early 90s I think. I don't remember what the years are exactly off hand but it's a start. I'm sure someone on here has the correct info. That's just one vechicle you can get the D44 out of, I believe there were found in some wagoneers too but the WMS length is narrower by 2" if I remember correctly.

Long lost Inspector Gadget!

Look at '88 to '91 XJ's and MJ's for a D44 rear axle that's almost a direct fit. You can keep the D30 front axle with little or no problem running 35" tires.

The Ford 8.8 rear axle from '95+ Explorer's and Mountaineer's is a good choice. Can be had with many different gear ratios from 4.10 and higher, to match what you have or to upgrade for the larger tires. Usually easier to find than the above D44.

Back