Strange poping noise in front end.

FloridaJeeper

Got the winch on!

I have been out of the Jeep scene for a while now. My TJ has pretty much confined to "on road" conditions only. Recently I have noticed a loud pop in the front end and can not figure out its origin. I have crawled under the
jeep and had Jr whip the steering wheel back and forth and I can hear the noise but I cannot find it. It does not appear to be in any of the steering or suspension or diff. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

I am stumped and want to go trail riding.

poping noise in front end
what kind of noise does the pope make?

i couldnt' resist... sorry

but seriously... body mount? tie rod ends? ball joint?

When does it do it?

Most poping is in the track bar, the upper end can go bad and you can barely see it, it moves when bouncing the steering wheel off full lock. Make sure the bottom end of the front track bar is very tight.

My NEW Jeep!!!!

Poop jokes I was expecting but not the pope jokes.

It pops when I either go around a corner or when I whip the steering wheel back and forth.

I need to check the uper end of the track bar. I was concentrating too much on the lower end if it because of the trackbar bracket for the lift that I did not even consider it may be on the other end.

Do you have swaybar disconnects? They can be noisy. Mine (cheap ones) are.

I do have some home-made ones, heim joints on both ends of some threaded rod, I guess I should pull them off for the next round of process of elimination. I will be quite suprised if they make that loud of a pop though.

Back