Rough Country Lift

jeepfan555

1972 CJ5

Well FINALLLLY, I am ordering the lift. After much debate and thought I am going with the 3in rough country lift from followmyrutz.com. The last questions I have are:

1. Do I need anything else other then what is included in the kit?

2. Should I go with the Hydro or Nitro shocks? (I will be doing mainly on road driving, so I'm looking for the softest ride)

Relocating the break lines with the kit is not a bad thing but I just used some compression fittings and an extra length of line in the place of monkeying with the orginal line bends. I had the Nitro shocks but had it to do over I think Hydro would have been my choice due they would most likely ride a bit smoother. I got good service from followmyruts and loved my lift. The 3" lift in place of my orginal sagging springs gave me more like 5.5 to 6" of lift when done. tug

If you order direct form RC they are now selling it as a 4" kit. DOn't know if they are using new springs or what but I would look into it.

Ask for Davy@ RC

Thanks twisted, I called rough country and asked them about the lift. They told me that they changed the leafs and now its a 4 in.

So now my thought is should I still go with it? I think that it might make my 31" look tiny but on the other hand I will have room to upgrade later. What does everyone think? Go with the 4" and 31" or stick with a 2-3" lift?

the lift will outlast the tires and if you want to go bigger later, do the 4" now (for the work & $$$ involved) - check out Hell Creek - they use rough country hardware and their springs, and Tom gives great service and prompt answers to emails... i just did mine and it rides much better than the old pro-comp lift i did on my old YJ... just my 2 cents...

33's on 2" would look bad. A SOA with 225x75x15's would look bad, but I don't think it would look bad with 31's on 4".

Hell Creek is 4" also.

just food for thought, the old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds true with these low budget lifts. from what ive seen with the jeeps in the club im with they get it up there but they dont do very well on the trail and ride rough. like i said, jsut food for thought, you buy a 500 dollar lift, you get a 500 dollar lift.

Get the 4" kit, the cost will be about the same and you're getting more for your money. You'll regret it later if you don't, when you're ready for that next set of tires and wish you had a little more clearance.

corrupt4130, I don't agree with your outlook on 'these low budget lifts'. My 3.5" Rusty's kit cost $355 and it performs great, much better than I had expected. Rides smooth, flexes well.

Rough Country would probably fall under your lable 'these low budget lifts' and I've seen Jeeps with Rough Country lifts outperform every other jeep on the trail. I've seen them work especially well on TJ's and XJ's.

Now some people will talk trash about 'these low budget lifts', but IMO most seem to have the need to make themselves feel better about spending a large amount of money on something that performs the same or worse than comparables half the cost.

Not to get too far off topic, but this one is for anyone that relocated to back line with the RC lift bracket. How the Heck do you remove the couplink from the stock mount and move it down to the bracket openning???

Back to topic.... The RC kit comes very well equiped. Finished mine and actually had some little extra's. It'll ride slightly stiff for the first month or so, but after that they start to flex pretty nicely. Make sure not to over-torque the shackle bolts - that's the key. I bought the Hydro shocks and love them....much smoother. HTH :mrgreen:

green - are you talking about the rear brake line where it mounts to the frame? theres that little clip that slides off with some work (and blood if your vise grips slip) then it sets into the new relocation bracket reusing the same clip as for reach? well, patience, some muscle and a little luck (dont kink the steel line) and you can work it down

What Size Winch????

I Know I'm bugging the hells out of you guys but I have a few more questions. I have decided to go with the 4in lift with either the Hells creek or the Rough country. Actually or the rusty's lift?

Which one should I go with also what else do I need besides the stuff that comes with the kit? brake line extensions, sway bar discos, etc....?

Right, thanks LV! I'll take another whack at it once the rain stops.

Jeepfan - No way are you bugging us. That's what this forum is for; answering questions :) You can buy brake line extensions if you want. If you can get the 4" for about the same cost as the 3" then I'd go for the 4". The kit comes with relocation brackets for the existing brake lines. Disco's are always a plus. One thing that's semi-normally done is to remove the rear track bar. That's a personal preferrance though. HTH

The front brake hard-lines can be moved several inches down the outside of the frame rail and bolted back up, creating a lot more room in the stock brake lines to the tires. I then got a braided SS rear brake line for around $35.

My '95 YJ had holes in the side of the frame where the bolt holding the hardline down threaded right in, cutting it's own threads. Careful when making slack in the hardline that you don't kink it, just unclip it from the frame and take your time, you'll get 3" or 4" of slack to relocate the line.

If you remove the rear track bar will that be damgerous for on road driving? I will being doing mostly onroad driving that is why I ask.

I removed the rear track bar, noticed no difference in handling. I removed the front swaybar, little more body roll but not bad. Both have been off for years. I ran without the front track bar for a short while and life was tough, took a lot more steering input in curves as the steering pushed the axle sideways before turning the knuckles on the axle. This problem was compounded by the rear lincoln locker. Keep the front track bar until you decide to do a shackle reversal.

95 Wrangler with 3" RC lift and 2" BL

image-missing.png

removing the rear track bar is one of the best and easiest things you can do to your yj, it doesnt affect on road handling at all and it greatly increases your flex offroad. right now i dont have any of it connected but i need to make a mount for my front track bar to mount to. damn soa

Back