How to completely Waterproof a TJ??

Nooch13

Ok, I know it will never be totally waterproof, but step by step, are there any good write ups on how to waterproof a TJ? I was going to exted my breathers from my diffs and tap into the snorkel I am about to put on. Are there any other breathers that I could run into there? Also, I have heard to use Dilectrical grease on electrical connections and then Liquid electrical tape over top of that. Is that all connections? How bout the computer or fuse boxes? Is there any way to seal them up?

Use waterproof sealer around the fuse box, Distributer cap, and any other thing like that. Extending the breathers on the diffs is definatly a good one. On my truck's differentials, I uses the same sort of tubing that you use with air lockers (the type that coils up) and ran it up through the frame rails and up into my cab, so there's no way, unless I sink up over my roof, water will get in--But sounds like you already have a good plan for that.

Does the transmission/ t-case have vents??

I am pretty sure the t-case has a breather too, and I was just going to use a "t-connector" and tap that into the snorkel along with the rear diff. I almost forgot about the distributor...Anything else?

I ran both the diff's into the airbox for my snorkel along with the t-case breather. The transmission doesn't have an external breather but I was told if I ever need to pull the transmission for any reason, there's a way of extending the breather out. For my distributor, I used dielectric grease at all the plug ends, siliconed the cap down and ran a hose from the breather into the airbox. The intake for my aircompressor also runs into the airbox. For the fusebox, haven't done anything yet but eventually, I'd like to rewire it into a marine one. The computer is a little harder to waterproof since it needs air for cooling. I sprayed it with this electrical waterproofing stuff I found at an autoparts store and if I'm going in real deep, I'll just put a plastic bag over it. I've also put dielectric silicone into almost all electrical connections and sprayed them with this electrical waterproofing stuff. I've ran a bead of silicone around any kind of a air/breather hose in the engine compartment including on the valve cover where the pcv valves enter. Haven't done anything with the gas cap yet, but I'm gonna get a cap that seals on tightly and run some kind of a breather somewhere (haven't decided where yet).

yeah that movie was nuts..i was watchin a show on i think discovery or one of them..and they talked about waterproofing things and pretty much all they did was silicon everything and extend breathers.

You can extend thee breathers all you want, but the seals at the axles and t-case are single lip seals which means it will keep the oil in but not necessarily keep water out. It will repel during short crossings. The TJ is not designed to be driven in water like that. To completely waterproof it you need a sealed ignition which nobody makes, a sealed distrubutor and every electrical component sealed. Too much effort involved especially for a daily driver.

Nooch13 said:

Then you need a submarine!

I would just like to know why he turned his wipers on? was it to simply show that he stayed running?

If you want to do that, remove just about anything electric that is non-esential for a carborated engine to run (heater, lights wipers etc... that guy apparently wired all his accessoris into a water proof boxe). as stated, pipe all vent into a snorkle of some type.

and don't forget your bathing suit!

Back