Jeep Will Not Start On Cold Days

Jeeper89

I have an 89 jeep YJ. Straight 6 with the 2 bbl stock carb. On cold days it took about 2 tries to get it started but once it was started it worked just fine and i had no problem restarting it. Today when i went to start it I wouldent. So i checked to see if the carb was getting gas and when i checked there were no sqirts of gas. I dont know if it is the carb or something else. Any help will be great.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i have a '90 XJ... fuel injected. check out my post in the other forum. it seems that oil viscocity, fuel pumps, and starter solonoids might have some play in this factor.

my rough starting thread...[addsig]

You didn´t say how cold it was. If you open the choke and work the throttle a couple of times, it should squirt some fuel into the carberator. If it doesn´t it means the accelerator pump or passagways are clogged or faulty. Could also be low fuel or frozen water in the float bowl. Try pouring a coke bottle cap of fuel down the carb and see if this helps (careful of flashback). Usually when they start hard in the winter the choke is set a little to tight. Try holding the choke open about an eight of an inch then starting. It´s often to much fuel that causes starting problems in winter. A load of gastank de-icer (or drier) often isn´t a bad idea in winter either. Faulty timing can also cause hard starting which often becomes worse in winter. You gotta time the straight 6 by the book or you don´t really have a chance of getting it right.[addsig]

Back