Guess what I got!

MerkL

Well, I have taken over the title of my dad's '71 Ford Pickup. Needless to say it's not running. Now for the positives, engine is a rebuilt 351, body is in decent shape, and it's got the 9" I've been looking for. Now for my questions. I measured the width of my d35, and it's 52 3/4 backing plate to backing plate. The 9" is 53 1/2 backing plate to backing plate. I know it would be a noticeable difference, but I was thinking could I get wheels with more backspacing for the front, and/or back. I say and/or because I don't know the p's and q's of wheels. Next, if the aforementioned doesn't/can't work could I get some wheel spacers for the front? Basically I want the front to be able to match up with the rear. Now the plans for the Jeep. Get 9" under the Jeep, get 2.5" springs from RE and do a spring over. I'll probably keep the front until it breaks, then upgrade to a d44. Thanks for any advice you guys give in advance.

Sounds like a plan. Make sure the chunk on the 9" is in the center and offset?

What is the wheel mounting surface(WMS) to WMS measurement? The pickup 2wd?
One thing to keep in mind is that not all 9" axle assemblies came from the factory in the same configuration. I think five different housing styles have been available through the years, along with three different styles of housing ends. That axle has the "big five" lug bolt pattern, different from yours. There is a good chance that axle also sports 28 spline shafts, only one up from the D35's 27 splines. The pinion also enters the diff kind of low, which might amplify any current vibes. Check out what you've got and compare the options(8.8" and D44) before putting too much into it. Good luck. A 9" is a great axle that can be configured to fit most any need. With lots of money and aftermarket parts, a 9" can make a D60 look like a punk.

Back