Jet Performance Chip

GhostRider02

u-joints

Was thinking of putting the Jet chip on my 02 Sport... Kind of skeptical though... claims 6-13 hp and around the same for torque ... is it worth it, tell me what yall think ....

driver-side headlight dies

whats the price on them things??

U can tell a difference under accerlation and my gas mileage has improved somewhat. I dont know if I would pay 240, but i picked mine up on ebay for 80 bucks and I think it was well woth it.

noticed a increase in gas mileage and a little more throttle response but other then that noting really....picked mine up for 50 bucks and a set of old fog lights

I have not noticed much of anything in my girlfriends '00 TJ but I have not changed the gear ratio yet since putting 31's on...

$240, you could get a k&n, Turbo city intake and throw a flowmaster on there for that price, and get better power increases than with a stupid chip!

jps4jeep said:
$240, you could get a k&n, Turbo city intake and throw a flowmaster on there for that price, and get better power increases than with a stupid chip!

What he said.... Foret the chip, the price for a minimal performance gain is not worth it.

can anyone help a fellow jeeper out???

It might not be worth it for $240, but if you can find a good deal on on, like $50 or even $80, I would say go for it.

I talked to the folks at Jet Performance and they told me that you really won't see a marked gas mileage improvement no matter which chip you use.

The computer only does so much. The reprogramming of the computer in an otherwise factory vehicle is worth little these days. Back when computer controls were new to the automotive field, aftermarket burners like Jet made a name for themselves by fixing the imperfections left in the factory setups because of the steep learning curve and strict regulations the auto manufacturers were faced with. Today they have their acts together more and with stock hard parts, a computer reprog is worth little. After you throw some better flowing parts on that engine though, a good chip can be worth alot.

i have a buddy who works for a jeep dealership. one night out on the annual va4wda annual trail run, a jeep stopped running and shat out, brand new 03 rubi on 35s. geuss what he did. he pulled the jet chip and reset the comp, vroom vroom said the rubi. he later told me he sees so many jeeps come in with those in there and stupid problems caused by it. dont waste your money only to create problems. lots of aftermarket engine parts that claim higher gas are worthless really. think about the throttle body spacer, that turbo twister thingy, etc etc. external engine upgrades come from having more flow, more in and more space to shove it out, that means cold air, bored tb's and high flow exhaust.

currupt4130 said:
i have a buddy who works for a jeep dealership. one night out on the annual va4wda annual trail run, a jeep stopped running and shat out, brand new 03 rubi on 35s. geuss what he did. he pulled the jet chip and reset the comp, vroom vroom said the rubi. he later told me he sees so many jeeps come in with those in there and stupid problems caused by it. dont waste your money only to create problems. lots of aftermarket engine parts that claim higher gas are worthless really. think about the throttle body spacer, that turbo twister thingy, etc etc. external engine upgrades come from having more flow, more in and more space to shove it out, that means cold air, bored tb's and high flow exhaust.

True....lots of quality problems, especially from the (basically)homemade ones like you find on ebay.
Don't sell them short. A chip can be worth big gains. It takes air, fuel, and spark to make an internal combustion engine do it's thing. You can make it do more by adding more of each(to a degree). The bored TBs, cold air kits, and high flow exhausts provide ONE part of that three part formula. The computer has a hand in the other two. With the off the shelf "Mickey Mouse" parts that are offered and marketed to us power hungry Jeepers, you will probably never really NEED a chip burning with natural aspiration. They are known for allowing aftermarket hard parts to make even larger power increases though.

Junkpile said:
currupt4130 said:

True....lots of quality problems, especially from the (basically)homemade ones like you find on ebay.
Don't sell them short. A chip can be worth big gains. It takes air, fuel, and spark to make an internal combustion engine do it's thing. You can make it do more by adding more of each(to a degree). The bored TBs, cold air kits, and high flow exhausts provide ONE part of that three part formula. The computer has a hand in the other two. With the off the shelf "Mickey Mouse" parts that are offered and marketed to us power hungry Jeepers, you will probably never really NEED a chip burning with natural aspiration. They are known for allowing aftermarket hard parts to make even larger power increases though.

Yes! in a diesel!

1993 celica what I expect?

jps4jeep said:
Junkpile said:
currupt4130 said:

Yes! in a diesel!

What? I don't get it.

moral is, dont waste the money on it. messing with computers on jeeps is a finicky thing and they already run good enough. messing with the way it internally runs is not a good idea because if something goes wrong and the dealership finds out what was in it, your SOL. im just speaking from personal contacts. he has told me they cause problems and that they are problems.

messing with computers on jeeps is a finicky thing and they already run good enough

Why? Doing computer mods is mandatory with alot of engine mods. It's common on FI engine swaps too. Why is the simple little Jeep computer more finicky than any other?
already runs good enough???....for who? :lol:

I'm wondering what jps4jeep meant by: "Yes! in a diesel!"

well as far is FI swaps go, thats a given, a computer has to control the amount that the injectors shoot into the manifold. what engine mods is it mandatory to mess with the computer, other than FI? and i believe there is a law in science called the conservation of problems that states when you change one thing, something totally unrelated will happen because of a tiny change in the system. and if my 4 cylinder can get me and my 35's and 4.10s up the side of a mountain, i think it runs good enough for me

Supercharging, turbocharging, nitrous injection, cam swaps, head swaps, stroking.....lots of mods CAN require a computer reprog.

and i believe there is a law in science called the conservation of problems that states when you change one thing, something totally unrelated will happen because of a tiny change in the system

Why didn't that law apply when you decided to do the SOA? Being scared to break that law pretty much rules out any Jeep mod doesn't it?
That's a given, of course one change causes another. THAT'S why eventually you WILL need a computer reprog if you continue to increase the engines ability to breath and consume fuel.

and if my 4 cylinder can get me and my 35's and 4.10s up the side of a mountain, i think it runs good enough for me

I had a similar setup, except with 36s, and mine ran "good enough" for me too.....but I always want more when it comes to power. It's never enough. If you don't wish to modify yours any further, then that's cool too. I wasn't really trying to argue, but you have to understand that not every Jeeper is happy with the amount of HP that the factory put under the hood. Somewhere along the line in that hunt for more power, you will reach a point where you have exceeded the factory parameters in the computer and will need to modify it.

yea i think i got a little excessive on reasoning here but point being ive been told my a dealership mechanic, who happens to be a jeeper also, that they cause problems

Back